KASAN Spots Another Kernel Vulnerability From Early Linux 2.6 Through 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murple View Post

The same in the UK, "we can't trust them, they are an arm of the chinese state" etc etc. Our governments aren't pissed about the possibility of backdoors in their hardware, they are pissed because Huawei won't put backdoors in for western agencies. Ironically I think the Chinese state are really interested in the commercial success of their technology companies and this probably makes them think twice about jeopardising their efforts with security holes. They even do capitalism better than us jeez that's embarrassing

Of course on the other hand maybe Huawei are just getting rid of all their dirty laundry now and publicly outing their exploits before someone else does
    The world is not binary, black and white, only one thing or the other. We are all human. Corporations are made of human beings who are complex in their actions and motivations. They are not monolithic.

Huawei can still be untrustworthy due to MSS infiltration or open collaboration (which they are legally required to do just like Google, Facebook, et al are legally required to do in the US) with the PRC government LEO while still having arms of its corporate structure issuing patches to benefit the world at large. It's foolish to trust any corporation entirely, and it's equally foolish to forget that they can also have beneficial actions either because of altruism or because of PR or self interest.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 20 February 2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Chinese State (PRC) has law that makes cooperation with Chinese intelligence organizations MANDATORY for any and all Chikese private companies. No "if's" or "but's" about it.

So come out of your naívè ideological thinking for fucking once. Yeah, Huawei engineer found something. Great.

It does not change the fact that if PRC's MSS asks Huawei for hardware backdoor in specific enterprise network device, it has no other path than to comply and implement it. Regardless of what Huawei or it's engineers itself may want or not.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        Chinese State (PRC) has law that makes cooperation with Chinese intelligence organizations MANDATORY for any and all Chikese private companies. No "if's" or "but's" about it.

So come out of your naívè ideological thinking for fucking once. Yeah, Huawei engineer found something. Great.

It does not change the fact that if PRC's MSS asks Huawei for hardware backdoor in specific enterprise network device, it has no other path than to comply and implement it. Regardless of what Huawei or it's engineers itself may want or not.

​Chill out dude you are taking this way too seriously. Of course Huawei are untrustworthy, as are most companies in all countries given the abundance of variables at play. I just thought it was funny (as in ha ha) that Huawei (in the loosest sense) were helping fix security holes given the current attention they are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The world is not binary, black and white, only one thing or the other. We are all human. Corporations are made of human beings who are complex in their actions and motivations. They are not monolithic.

Huawei can still be untrustworthy due to MSS infiltration or open collaboration (which they are legally required to do just like Google, Facebook, et al are legally required to do in the US) with the PRC government LEO while still having arms of its corporate structure issuing patches to benefit the world at large. It's foolish to trust any corporation entirely, and it's equally foolish to forget that they can also have beneficial actions either because of altruism or because of PR or self interest.
          Yeah I wasn't saying we should trust Huawei, and I wasn't saying their motivations are purely economic. I was wondering, partly for humorous effect, if a so called communist country was driven by profit ​​​more than the so called capitalist ones. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because as you say its way more complicated than that.

Comment

They're much more trustworthy than US company which polluted entire world with CPU's insecure by design. China is communist country, but it doesn't attack innocent ones like USA does. Just because some small shit desert country tells them to do so.

Comment

... Of course Huawei are untrustworthy, as are most companies in all countries given the abundance of variables at play. I just thought it was funny (as in ha ha) that Huawei (in the loosest sense) were helping fix security holes given the current attention they are getting.
              I hold the exact same opinion.

I don't trust Huawei (as a whole), but I do find the juxtaposition between their proven positive actions (mentioned in the article) and their alleged actions (mentioned in other media) funny. I also think it's good to give praise to people/orgs when they do something good. Encourage the good! I'm genuinely grateful that Huawei reported this vulnerability so our systems can all be a little bit more safe.

Comment

So Huawei are making us more secure? What crazy times we live in
                Huawei issue is a control issue. It's controlled by an independent government that has its own ideas about how the world should work.

If it was controlled by the government of an historical US ally (i.e. puppet) state like say Israel or something none would raise an eyebrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post
                  They're much more trustworthy than US company which polluted entire world with CPU's insecure by design. China is communist country, but it doesn't attack innocent ones like USA does. Just because some small shit desert country tells them to do so.
                  Do we want to talk about how chinese are basically genociding tibet population after they invaded it?

How they are seriously fucking up africa with their copious "investment money" that buys them political control over entire cities?

How their "amazon" equivalent and all their social media are 100% mining personal information for the state and they aren't even afraid of telling you they do (what can you do about it anyway?).

China isn't better than USA, they are just more effective as they can just not care about things like privacy or human rights on a scale that USA can't.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

I'm pretty sure USA can do the same. *cough*Intel ME*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      I'm pretty sure USA can do the same. *cough*Intel ME*cough*
                      It can't -- legally. They have to go the extra effort to hide their activities from the public to avoid backlash. Not so in China.

Comment

Working...
                      X