SVT-AV1 Already Seeing Nice Performance Improvements Since Open-Sourcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT-AV1 Already Seeing Nice Performance Improvements Since Open-Sourcing

Phoronix: SVT-AV1 Already Seeing Nice Performance Improvements Since Open-Sourcing

It was just a few weeks ago that Intel open-sourced the SVT-AV1 project as a CPU-based AV1 video encoder. In the short time since publishing it, there's already been some significant performance improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually those figures are not bad at all. They seem to suggest that by 2020, it will become possible to encode 1080 lines video at around 4-5 fps or, in other words, a feature length HD movie will be encoded in under 24 hours.

Formany users that is kind of the limit of usability for personal purposes, such as rip a BRay movie and copy it on a laptop to watch on a plane during a long flight, etc. If the compression ratio is better than HEVC for the same quality, then AV1 will suddenly become very appealing.

Comment

dav1d results:

-4K-

EPYC: 91.12fps
      Ryzen: 100.19fps
      9900K: 131.45fps
      7980XE: 135.6fps

-1080p-

EPYC: 243.28fps
      7980XE: 262.23fps
      Ryzen: 286.41fps
      9900K: 437.79fps

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Actually those figures are not bad at all. They seem to suggest that by 2020, it will become possible to encode 1080 lines video at around 4-5 fps or, in other words, a feature length HD movie will be encoded in under 24 hours.
        Huh? Michael's tests show that it's already possible to get 8.5 fps now, on a fast cpu. Did you just look at the first chart and skip the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Huh? Michael's tests show that it's already possible to get 8.5 fps now, on a fast cpu. Did you just look at the first chart and skip the rest?
          Ah, sorry I misread the chart, I thought the 2nd one was HEVC.

Comment

I hope AMD can improve their AVX2 performance significantly with Zen 2 and maybe even support for AVX512. As shown in these benchmarks, Intel has a notable advantage where it is used extensively.

Comment

I wonder how the quality differs. It's difficult to assess lossy codecs in just frames per second when the end result can vary wildly in quality depending on the encoder and what settings are used.

Anyway, looks like the most recent SVT-AV1 results are almost up to 50% of the speed I get when encoding with libvpx-vp9 so that's not too bad.

Comment

SVT-AV1 has added multi-threaded CDEF search
                That's what I'm saying, search is another avenue for parallelism in encoders.

Comment

For more detail on the value of CDEF, see this:

AV1 is a new general-purpose video codec developed by the Alliance for Open Media. The alliance began development of the new codec using Google’s VPX codecs, Cisco’s Thor codec, and ...

Comment

And it seems there are some commits pending, from SSE to AVX2... so more gains ahead...

Comment

Working...
                    X