Glibc 2.29 Is Offering Up Some Nice Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ksec View Post
    Would be nice if there were some benchmarks comparing Glibc vs muslc.
    I second that

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Have the ISO but unfortunately no repo access unless having a RHEL subscriber account.
      Have you tried asking for one? You're the leading Linux publication. Not giving media free access to test and review products and services would be stupid, even IBM/RedHat should get that. They will probably give you access if you ask. If they don't then you might as well declare them dead to you and never mention their products again.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post

Have you tried asking for one? You're the leading Linux publication. Not giving media free access to test and review products and services would be stupid, even IBM/RedHat should get that. They will probably give you access if you ask. If they don't then you might as well declare them dead to you and never mention their products again.
        Red Hat developer subscription is available at no cost and includes the 8 beta.

Comment

For the NPB EP benchmark it is easy to see where the improvement comes from: the loop is as follows:
          do 140 i = 1, nk
          x1 = 2.d0 * x(2*i-1) - 1.d0
          x2 = 2.d0 * x(2*i) - 1.d0
          t1 = x1 ** 2 + x2 ** 2
          if (t1 .le. 1.d0) then
          t2 = sqrt(-2.d0 * log(t1) / t1)
          t3 = (x1 * t2)
          t4 = (x2 * t2)
          l = max(abs(t3), abs(t4))
          q(l) = q(l) + 1.d0
          sx = sx + t3
          sy = sy + t4
          endif
          140 continue

which contains a "log" which was optimized in glibc 2.29.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Any issues?
            Not that I've noticed, I really need to do a whole system recompile though to figure that out. I don't think there have been any random header changes this version, so hopefully build breakages will be kept to a minimum - I think GCC 9 is due out soon, so I'll do it then

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Not that I've noticed, I really need to do a whole system recompile though to figure that out. I don't think there have been any random header changes this version, so hopefully build breakages will be kept to a minimum - I think GCC 9 is due out soon, so I'll do it then
              I've been running development versions of 2.29 for a few months; initially there were lots of problems with gnulib-using packages due to removal/change of libio headers, but the Gentoo devs have been fixing that up nicely.

Comment

Working...
              X