EXT4 Patches Continue Working On Case-Insensitive Filenames & Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Patches Continue Working On Case-Insensitive Filenames & Encoding

Phoronix: EXT4 Patches Continue Working On Case-Insensitive Filenames & Encoding

For those that have been wanting to see case-insensitive filename support or even encoding of filenames in UTF-8 or other character encoding, the work is still on going...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this is optional.

Comment

Just my two cents, but this feature would fix one unnecessary annoyance on Linux for me when dealing with the command line. At least once every command line session I fell into this trap. Am I the only one? What took them so long to fix it?! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't need another decade or so to land.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Just my two cents, but this feature would fix one unnecessary annoyance on Linux for me when dealing with the command line. At least once every command line session I fell into this trap. Am I the only one? What took them so long to fix it?! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't need another decade or so to land.
        I rarely have the issue when using something like zsh, because autocompletion can be set to ignore case sensitivity.

Comment

command line
          Originally posted by AsuMagic
          zsh
          Fish has case insensitive autocompletion, and that's not even configurable.

Comment

Actually, this is a useless feature for people, who write scripts and software properly... Allowing users to access files in case insensitive way just allows more mess to be created...

Comment

it feels like its the 70's and DOS all over again.

why not restrict filenames to 8 characters long? yes that would be great, case insensitive and we'll remember the days of AUTOEXEC.BAT

Comment

that would be nice to have

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                  > command line

useless for people who write scripts and software properly
                  Ever used tab completion? Fuzzy logic can be useful interactively despite being useless for proper programming!

I agree with your conclusion, but for a different reason: Case insensitive tab completion works just fine – it doesn't need to be in the kernel.
                  Last edited by andreano; 03 February 2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I strongly support this effort and hope that (some years from now, no doubt) it becomes the default behaviour.

Case preserving, case insensitive filenames are the sensible, human-centric design.

The is no reason why the end user should have to think about whether they called their document "Sales Report" or "Sales report", and allowing both to exist as separate items is a bug for which a fix is overdue.

Comment

Working...
                    X