Systemd 241 Release Candidate Now Available For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

ifconfig and friends are deprecated since more than 10 yaers, long before systemd existed

you don't need Network-Manager?
    me too!

NetworkManager is for dynamic changing networks and you can't change ifconfig that way, simple

[root@master:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/network-up.service
    [Unit]
    Description=Network
    After=iptables.service systemd-udev-trigger.service systemd-udev-settle.service
    Wants=iptables.service systemd-udev-trigger.service systemd-udev-settle.service
    After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device
    Wants=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device
    Before=crond.service timers.target disk-timeout.service
    PartOf=network-online.target

[Service]
    Type=oneshot
    RemainAfterExit=yes
    SuccessExitStatus=80
    ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ethtool -G eth0 rx-mini 0
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip addr add 192.168.196.102/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.196.255 dev eth0
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip link set dev eth0 multicast off up
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip route add default via 192.168.196.1
    ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/sysctl -e -p -q
    ExecStop=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev eth0 down

[Install]
    WantedBy=network-online.target
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    Ya if only it could.. oh wait it can.

ifconfig fxp0 up
    ifconfig fxp1 up
    ifconfig lagg0 create
    ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto lacp laggport fxp0 laggport fxp1 10.0.0.3/24

You now have a dynamically chaining network.
    Number of packages needed to do this = 0

"deprecated" right.. please..
    Last edited by k1e0x; 06 February 2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

idiot!

dynamic means wired, wireless and 3G networks appear and disappear on your notebook and besides that the nomal user can't execute "ifconfig" nor "ip" your idiotic config above don't scale in a modern world where 10.0.0.3/24 isn't fixed

i personally don't need that shit because i own 2 computers which are in sync on two locations and for everything else my smartphonbe needs to be enough or it can wait at all, hence configs like above and NetworkMnaager not instaleld at all but i am not a single minded fool ignoring all other usecases - well, that's why i am software developer and you are a user

developers have open minds, pure admins or ordianry users live in a bubble

Unhun.. wifi is just impossible..

Wait.. what if I.. oh idk.. just used the wifi interface! lol :: roll eyes ::

wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
      ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
      ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto lacp laggport fxp0 laggport wlan0 10.0.0.3/24

But wait.. gasp.. what if I need DHCP! oh noo...
      "just replace the IP with "dhcp" and you're good to go" you say? nooo..

There is beauty in simplicity friend. I used that example because it's from the FreeBSD Manual. You know.. an OS where they just fixed it and kept it Unix. You might like it.. it cuts down on stress for sure.

Comment

but wait - what if you are not root to begin with fucking kid?
        there is a world outside your personal home computer or fixed workstations

again: i don't need NM and also not ifconfig, see above and yes that could be a initscript too but systemd has better error reporting in its status output for free

why do you as BSD user not just lick my ass and ignore topics not for you?
        Anger is often a response when confronted with truth, it's ok, I'm not offended.. the reason why is because (like it or not) I manage a lot of Linux and I don't want to sit in a pile of filth all day. Would I install it personally.. nah. no point.

You missed my first post btw.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 07 February 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

did you realize that NM is off.topic at all and given that i maintain 40 Linux machines from desktop over firewalls to servers and none of them has NM installed i still don't get your fucking point
          That is a small number of system.

And the point is in relation to your video by Benno Rice, complaints against systemd are not always in relation to fear of the unknown or trolls or whatever other emotional reason. Improving and evolving Unix is the proper direction in my opinion. (and I don't think Benno would disagree with me). Systemd is a replacement, not an improvement. My example was linux abandoned ifconfig for the new shiny (cuz it was old omg! you said it yourself) and freebsd extended and improved it. It is a different mindset and a question of "what kind of system do we want to make?" A Unix one, or a ?(insert random/microsoft/apple inspired one here)?. There are other examples, OpenBSD replaces and improves many parts of the system, but it remain very very Unix like.

FreeBSD may indeed decide to change init, but when they do it will be a hell of a lot better than systemd and it will be Unix like, you can trust that.

Comment

which systemd does

besides "may indeed decide" is 10 years too late what is not "Unix like" at systemd?

PS: and your ifconfig won't ever be a replacement for a deamon acting on events
            A large number of people disagree with you. We would say systemd is very windows/apple like. I see no reason to implement DNS or binary logs or bash-completion at the system layer and personally I like OpenRC and I'd like to see FreeBSD move to that for service state management.. it provides everything good systemd does and does it in a minimal, limited manner. It's also portable and flexible.

Being first does nothing for you it you don't get it right the first time. I love that FreeBSD takes it time on implementing new things and changes are carefully thought out. Linux far too often just throws stuff at the wall to see if it sticks where as FreeBSD is designed by engineers and implemented with a purpose.

Comment

Working...
            X