Linux Headers May Soon Be Available In-Kernel Via /proc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But why would they include this when they're now seriously working on Fuchsia, the successor to Android, and even hired a hell of a veteran for it?
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/23/g...teran-fuchsia/
    Because they traditionally like shotgun approach where they have 2-3 projects competing with each other. Helps to future-proof things.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Wouldn't this only ever be useful for Android where each device/variant needs a fork of the kernel.
      "he is right you know"

This feature is there only for Android, where it's uncommon to get sources for devices. With this system they would sneak the sources inside the actual build.

Comment

Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
        Why not a squashfs? This way it would be mountable, enabling direct access. a tgz must be decompressed to access the files...
        Because it's clearly meant to be copied over to the actual buildsystem, not actually used in the device.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post

It'd be useful is you compile certain source packages ... under Android itself. Really unlikely in my opinion ...
          It'be useful also if you can copy it over to the external build system.

Comment

So then why have they hired that Apple veteran to work on Fuchsia and why are they working with Huawei on the first Fuchsia device?
            because they want to use fuchsia for something and they want to release it on huawei hardware. where did you get all that "linux replacement" bullshit? was there some news of google hiring tens of thousands fuchsia devs?
            Fuchsia's gotta be *something* for them to hire that veteran and to work on actual consumer devices powered by it.
            sure, but there is shitload of veterans working on linux. all of apple btw can't compete with linux, so how one apple veteran is going to help?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              This feature is there only for Android, where it's uncommon to get sources for devices. With this system they would sneak the sources inside the actual build.
              if vendor doesn't want to ship headers, why would he want to ship this module?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                because they want to use fuchsia for something and they want to release it on huawei hardware. where did you get all that "linux replacement" bullshit? was there some news of google hiring tens of thousands fuchsia devs?

sure, but there is shitload of veterans working on linux. all of apple btw can't compete with linux, so how one apple veteran is going to help?
                I never said Fuchsia was going to replace Linux? Not sure where you got that from, but I didn't bring that up. I simply implied that Fuchsia, as expected, is going to replace Android eventually. But Android =! Linux. It uses Linux, but it's more than just the kernel...

Comment

And if the answer is because google makes them, why isn't the same true for making them ship headers?

Comment

I never said Fuchsia was going to replace Linux? Not sure where you got that from, but I didn't bring that up. I simply implied that Fuchsia, as expected, is going to replace Android eventually. But Android =! Linux. It uses Linux, but it's more than just the kernel...
                    lol, now you are trying to say that fuchsia will replace android but will still use linux kernel? it seems now you've redefined fuchsia from os to language bindings

Comment

By having some Android functionality depend from it. I guess the stuff of Project Treble for example, which is part of their effort to decouple the lower-level "vendor-specific" kernel stuff from the Android OS part so the latter can be updated more easily ( and eventually in a completely independent way from the lower level).

Comment

Working...
                      X