Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIRTIO 1.1 Standard Moving Closer To Release With GPU Device, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRTIO 1.1 Standard Moving Closer To Release With GPU Device, Better Performance

Phoronix: VIRTIO 1.1 Standard Moving Closer To Release With GPU Device, Better Performance

The Virtual I/O Device standard, VIRTIO, is moving closer to seeing its big 1.1 release. The VIRTIO standard as a reminder devices/drivers around networking, storage, and other areas akin to Xen paravirtualized drivers and VMware Guest Tools but designed with cross-hypervisor and cross-OS support in mind...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VirtioGPU is nice, but until it will be possible to use it with Spice over a tcp socket it will be just an exercise of style unfortunately
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I want to see a VirtIO VFS device (for access to the host VFS which is as "native" as it is for an application on the host), hope I don't have to write it, lol. I think the host is the right place for filesystem metadata, snapshotting, caching, and multi-device logic to live (provided the host filesystem can be trusted, I guess).
      Last edited by microcode; 26 January 2019, 06:06 AM.

Comment

GNOME Boxes in 3.32 will enable VirtioGPU when supported too.

Comment

I really wish we had a virtio gpu directx driver for win

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            I really wish we had a virtio gpu directx driver for win
            Eh. If Vulkan-VirGL progresses, with DXVK could have a proper solution there.

Parallels on OS X still uses Wined3d afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              I want to see a VirtIO VFS device (for access to the host VFS which is as "native" as it is for an application on the host), hope I don't have to write it, lol. I think the host is the right place for filesystem metadata, snapshotting, caching, and multi-device logic to live (provided the host filesystem can be trusted, I guess).

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I've been using Virtio to run several linux distributions through QEMU and I am very impressed, even though I couldn't get 3D graphics working with my NVIDIA binary drivers. (I only get a black screen when I enable 3D) It runs Gnome on Wayland without issue in my guest system.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post

Thanks for the reminder. 👍 It does not appear in my searches very often.

Comment

Working...
                  X