Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIRTIO 1.1 Standard Moving Closer To Release With GPU Device, Better Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRTIO 1.1 Standard Moving Closer To Release With GPU Device, Better Performance

Phoronix: VIRTIO 1.1 Standard Moving Closer To Release With GPU Device, Better Performance

The Virtual I/O Device standard, VIRTIO, is moving closer to seeing its big 1.1 release. The VIRTIO standard as a reminder devices/drivers around networking, storage, and other areas akin to Xen paravirtualized drivers and VMware Guest Tools but designed with cross-hypervisor and cross-OS support in mind...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Public-Review

VirtioGPU is nice, but until it will be possible to use it with Spice over a tcp socket it will be just an exercise of style unfortunately
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I want to see a VirtIO VFS device (for access to the host VFS which is as "native" as it is for an application on the host), hope I don't have to write it, lol. I think the host is the right place for filesystem metadata, snapshotting, caching, and multi-device logic to live (provided the host filesystem can be trusted, I guess).
      Last edited by microcode; 01-26-2019, 06:06 AM.

Comment

GNOME Boxes in 3.32 will enable VirtioGPU when supported too.

Comment

I really wish we had a virtio gpu directx driver for win

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            I really wish we had a virtio gpu directx driver for win
            Eh. If Vulkan-VirGL progresses, with DXVK could have a proper solution there.

Parallels on OS X still uses Wined3d afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              I want to see a VirtIO VFS device (for access to the host VFS which is as "native" as it is for an application on the host), hope I don't have to write it, lol. I think the host is the right place for filesystem metadata, snapshotting, caching, and multi-device logic to live (provided the host filesystem can be trusted, I guess).

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...der-Sharing-VM

Comment

I've been using Virtio to run several linux distributions through QEMU and I am very impressed, even though I couldn't get 3D graphics working with my NVIDIA binary drivers. (I only get a black screen when I enable 3D) It runs Gnome on Wayland without issue in my guest system.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. 👍 It does not appear in my searches very often.

Comment

Working...
                  X