No announcement yet.

ModemManager 1.10 Released With New Functionality For Fwupd, New Modem Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ModemManager 1.10 Released With New Functionality For Fwupd, New Modem Support

Phoronix: ModemManager 1.10 Released With New Functionality For Fwupd, New Modem Support

ModemManager is the FreeDesktop.org project for controlling mobile broadband devices/connections that is akin to NetworkManager for networking. Last week ModemManager 1.10 was quietly outed as the latest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first thing that needs to be disabled on a debian/canonical machine if you hope to use serial ports.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
      The first thing that needs to be disabled on a debian/canonical machine if you hope to use serial ports.
      Works totally fine here on Tumbleweed, and I use a bunch of different 3G/4G cards/sticks (Sierra, Telit, Huawei, ZTE, ...) and generic USB-serial converters (PL2303, CP2102/4/2N, CH341, FTDI, ...) regularly. By default, anything not *known* (i.e., matched using USB VID/PID) to be a modem is ignored by ModemManager.

Comment

"support for injecting assistance data into the GNSS engine" - is that AGPS support? Nice to see the changes for handling fwupd updates properly as well!

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

Works totally fine here on Tumbleweed, and I use a bunch of different 3G/4G cards/sticks (Sierra, Telit, Huawei, ZTE, ...) and generic USB-serial converters (PL2303, CP2102/4/2N, CH341, FTDI, ...) regularly. By default, anything not *known* (i.e., matched using USB VID/PID) to be a modem is ignored by ModemManager.
          So OpenSUSE has given Tumbleweed to Debian and Canonical? 'Cause the person you replied was talking about Debian and Ubuntu specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So OpenSUSE has given Tumbleweed to Debian and Canonical? 'Cause the person you replied was talking about Debian and Ubuntu specifically.
            And I said apparently it is Debian or Ubuntu issue (or a problem local to the posters system), not an ModemManager upstream issue, which would affect all distributions (unless modified downstream, which is not the case here). The article is about ModemManager upstream, not ModemManager on Debian/Ubuntu.

Comment

And I said apparently it is Debian or Ubuntu issue (or a problem local to the posters system), not an ModemManager upstream issue [...]
              ... which is what the person you quoted already pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                Not any more I hope. This was an old issue that has already been solved since MM 1.8 with the new "strict filter" setup when starting MM. With the strict filter setup, MM no longer uses a blacklist of vidids of non-modem TTYs (which of course required the blacklist to be up to date all the time...) and now has some heuristics to decide whether a TTY is used or not. There has been no report of this strict filter not working since distributions started to use it, so if you still have problems even after this is in use, please report a bug in https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobil...Manager/issues

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  "support for injecting assistance data into the GNSS engine" - is that AGPS support? Nice to see the changes for handling fwupd updates properly as well!
                  SUPL-based A-GPS support was already supported in MM since a long time ago in Qualcomm-based modems, but that required to have a valid mobile connection to the Internet during the initial position fix (MSA).

The new support to inject assistance data doesn't require a valid mobile connection; instead you can download some XTRA files from specific servers (using whatever other method like WiFi or cable) and those files will have enough valid satellite ephemeris for a week or so since they have been downloaded, which can then be used to bootstrap the GPS engine and get an initial position fix much quicker than when using plain GPS signals. It's really a very very specific usecase, not sure if useful for everyone

Comment

And I said apparently it is Debian or Ubuntu issue (or a problem local to the posters system), not an ModemManager upstream issue, which would affect all distributions (unless modified downstream, which is not the case here). The article is about ModemManager upstream, not ModemManager on Debian/Ubuntu.
                    The issue with MM poking the wrong TTYs was an upstream issue indeed, but has been fixed in MM 1.8 already (mid-2018) with the new strict filter support.

Comment

Working...
                    X