Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd 241 Paired With Linux 4.19+ To Enable New Regular File & FIFO Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arokh View Post
    It's weird that systemd creates so much fury from people who clearly are incompetent regarding operating system technology. It's like if the entire world's population of Down syndrome patients suddenly started opposing NASA's new rocket technology claiming it was better in the 70's.

No disrespect to people who have Down syndrome intended, just a joke.
    (obligatory trolling) So, are you saying that systemd haters are Down? (/obligatory trolling)

It's not weird, this is actually expected to occur once you let idiots speak freely.
    There are idiots opposing basic stuff like "the earth is round" and "vaccination is usually a good thing", there is still people believing "thoughts and prayers" matter, and much more.
    You think all of them have any kind of understanding of what they are doing? No, they don't.

Idiots blindily believe lies spread by someone else due to unrelated illogic reasons, and reinforce each other's beliefs when grouped together.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      And since we are at it, why on Earth are IP sockets not represented as files too?
      they are in bash.
      in syscalls i doubt adding bunch of ioctls will make your life easier

Comment

@starshipeleven

You're making a lot of sense, never thought of it that way. Systemd haters are actually _a lot_ like "flatearthers" who also refuse to accept scientifical facts

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          SystemD is now a registered religion in germany
          subj is systemd, not SystemD. your life will improve when you'll stop confusing things

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            SDDM still isn't starting for me under HyperV with systemd 240 or the latest git
            On Antergos, SDDM quit working with 240 this morning after upgrading to linux 4.20.3 (system froze, no magic sysrq or ctrl+alt+del, when SDDM should have launched) so I downgraded systemd, systemd-sysvcompat, and libidn2 from the actual system...that didn't go so well and I ended up with libidn2 missing library errors, had to boot up a live disk, arch-chroot in, blind extract libidn2 over /usr, and managed to get pacman working enough to do a pacman -Syyu....system booted up just fine after that. All I did to fix it was fix a fucked up downgrade.

You might get lucky doing a reinstall of systemd and systemd-sysvcompat, maybe libidn2, from a chroot.

I've never taken one side or the other on the systemd arguments, but systemd breaking my system 3 times in 3 days is enough to make me join the anti-systemd crowd and really light that fire under my ass to finally install Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

when one writes SystemD it's a sign that this guy is part of the "systemd killed my kittens" religion
              Eh, I just think SystemD is easier to read than systemd.

Comment

what about blame the packagers?
                is there no testing on your distribution before throw updates to users?

or if it only affects you maybe you have fucked up your system long ago
                but hey, blame systemd is always an option...
                It was a fresh install from yesterday. It broke this morning and all I did was install an upgraded kernel. 23 hours later. Wasn't even a system for 24 hours before the first and only update broke it. All I did was install Firefox, install a few ad blocking and privacy plugins, and watched a few episodes of Futureman. No actual system administration or tweaking of system files outside of an update this morning.

The install before that was a fresh install on Monday because of systemd breakage. It lasted a day and a half. Again, all I did was Firefox & related crap and I watched X Company Season 3. That one had two updates -- a kernel and some other misc crap (went fine) and a systemd update that broke it. I did a reinstall after putzing around in grub recovery and not getting anywhere -- that was the first paragraph install.

Before that I was distro hopping after trying SUSE for a week and didn't have an actual install...just running crap off live images...

I seriously doubt that it was because I fucked up my system long ago.

Is "long ago" 36 hours and under from a fresh install to a systemd break?

nobody gives a damn, when people are multiple times told that the are spell somehting wrong it's their decision to stop doing so or accept that people think they are just dumb

Spelling

Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that simple
                You know, if you read any of my previous posts, like the one right before the one you quoted me because that was my post too, you'd see that I spell it as systemd because I'm not a complete moron.

There is no need to be such an asshole over an opinion I have due to a reading disability. I have dyslexia and all lower-caps makes letters jumble around. Adding a few upper-cases here and there makes stuff easier to read for me. That's why I prefer SystemD over systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I've never taken one side or the other on the systemd arguments, but systemd breaking my system 3 times in 3 days is enough to make me join the anti-systemd crowd and really light that fire under my ass to finally install Gentoo.
                  If that's all that takes for you to switch, then great, who am I to stop someone from learning the Gentoo ways.

Meanwhile I'll write a very smug post from OpenSUSE Tumbleweed where the latest systemd is v239 and an update will probably not appear until the maintainers are sure that everything is actually working.

Because that's their job, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    If that's all that takes for you to switch, then great, who am I to stop someone from learning the Gentoo ways.

Meanwhile I'll write a very smug post from OpenSUSE Tumbleweed where the latest systemd is v239 and an update will probably not appear until the maintainers are sure that everything is actually working.

Because that's their job, you know.
                    Three breaks in four days is the worst I've had it in over 8 years now (and these are the first breaks I've had that weren't related to SPL building after ZFS). Like I said, I've never taken one side or the other in the systemd fight. Systemd has normally just worked. Changing from scripts to unit files that execute scripts was annoying...learning systemctl blah yada commands was annoying...but it worked and normally worked well so I didn't really care one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, I know things like this can happen on Arch and rolling release distributions in general, but the fact that so many bugs made it past the testing repos...I'm more upset it made it past testing than I am of systemd itself...

FWIW, Gentoo is still on v239 as well. 99% of why I want to switch to Gentoo isn't systemd related. It's LTO/PGO/O3. For that it's either Clear, Solus, or Gentoo. I'd prefer to go old school Linux for that and use Gentoo. More-than-likely I'll use systemd with Gentoo as well.

Comment

then your distribution is shit, any of my Fedora setups dating back long before systemd existed and survived 20 dist-upgrades, migration to grub2, systemd, UsrMove and so on over more than 10 years now

besides than english is a problem for you in general while wie in german have a lot of uppercase letters your response was useless noise

the people i talked baout are always the same few morons with a pretty clear systemd-hater attitude and refuse to spell it corretly to provocate and nothing else
                      I never had a problem for 8 years until this week.

If you bother reading my posts you'll see I'm not one of those "systemd haters". I'm more upset that v240 made it out of the Arch Testing repos than I am about systemd. Every v240 systemd version Arch has put out has made my system quit booting up. Since it's working now, I don't intend to update until I see v241 appear.

Learn grammar and punctuation. Everything in that post just looks like useless noise from an uneducated moron. It helps to have proper grammar and punctuation if you're gonna rag on someone about grammar and punctuation.

Comment

Working...
                      X