Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd 241 Paired With Linux 4.19+ To Enable New Regular File & FIFO Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

then your distribution is shit, any of my Fedora setups dating back long before systemd existed and survived 20 dist-upgrades, migration to grub2, systemd, UsrMove and so on over more than 10 years now

besides than english is a problem for you in general while wie in german have a lot of uppercase letters your response was useless noise

the people i talked baout are always the same few morons with a pretty clear systemd-hater attitude and refuse to spell it corretly to provocate and nothing else
    I never had a problem for 8 years until this week.

If you bother reading my posts you'll see I'm not one of those "systemd haters". I'm more upset that v240 made it out of the Arch Testing repos than I am about systemd. Every v240 systemd version Arch has put out has made my system quit booting up. Since it's working now, I don't intend to update until I see v241 appear.

Learn grammar and punctuation. Everything in that post just looks like useless noise from an uneducated moron. It helps to have proper grammar and punctuation if you're gonna rag on someone about grammar and punctuation.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post

Doesn't Linux share the UNIX philosophy that "everything is a file"? Which would mean that everything belongs in some kind of filesystem tree?
      UNIX? I thought that was the RISC OS philosophy?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Don't get me wrong, I know things like this can happen on Arch and rolling release distributions in general, but the fact that so many bugs made it past the testing repos...I'm more upset it made it past testing than I am of systemd itself...
        That's exactly what I'm saying, I was also additionally pointing out that there are other sane rolling release distros that don't let this happen, besides Gentoo which isn't for everyone.

FWIW, Gentoo is still on v239 as well.
        Not surprised, they are not a "bleeding edge for the sake of it" distro unlike Arch

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Not using OpenRC, also too much butt hurt and too little actual work in doing what is basically a different Debian default package setup.
          At Devuan you can choose Sysvinit or OpenRC. My Debian systems try to force me to install Systemd, i have to block that packages because i don't want. Devuan developers make the work I just need, so they do a great job for me.

Today the Debian Systemd packager resigned mainly because the stupid developing model of Systemd. Poettering said that they have no time to resolve bugs and packagers should patch and use stabilized versions. I don't want that in so important piece of my systems. Bugs should receive more attention than adding more features. Be happy with Systemd, and let me be happy with OpenRC.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
            Today the Debian Systemd packager resigned [...]
            Is this announced somewhere ?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

And this philosophy is so overused that it collapses soon enough when we need to read something from /sys or /proc.. Everyone is implementing parsing of same text files over and over to get data that should be binary to begin with.
              It was probably binary to begin with, but we all know how some programmers have issues parsing binary file positions. You know, those lovely programming errors that introduce security flaws to a system because people forgot or don't know how to "code safely & securely".

Making a text representation from binary data held within the OS, which /sys is supposed to be "in theory", simply makes that data easily readable at the console; no fancy programming required.

But something tells me that you only use a GUI and are completely freaked out, at a total loss as to what to do, when you see a CLI.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post

At Devuan you can choose Sysvinit or OpenRC. My Debian systems try to force me to install Systemd, i have to block that packages because i don't want. Devuan developers make the work I just need, so they do a great job for me.

Today the Debian Systemd packager resigned mainly because the stupid developing model of Systemd. Poettering said that they have no time to resolve bugs and packagers should patch and use stabilized versions. I don't want that in so important piece of my systems. Bugs should receive more attention than adding more features. Be happy with Systemd, and let me be happy with OpenRC.
                citation please showing the resignation

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

nobody gives a damn, when people are multiple times told that the are spell somehting wrong it's their decision to stop doing so or accept that people think they are just dumb

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
                  Spelling

Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that simple
                  WOW!

All that hate in just a few lines!

Who burnt your coffee (kaffe?) this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

citation please showing the resignation
                    I read the resignation here: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/041971.html

And more info in this spanish blog:

https://blog.desdelinux.net/debian-s...a-desacuerdos/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      That's exactly what I'm saying, I was also additionally pointing out that there are other sane rolling release distros that don't let this happen, besides Gentoo which isn't for everyone.

Not surprised, they are not a "bleeding edge for the sake of it" distro unlike Arch
                      Oh I know Gentoo isn't for everyone. I did give Tumbleweed an honest try, but it just really wasn't my thing. I needed just enough crap from outside their repos, all in different user repositories, that it was a bit of a hassle. I suppose I could have learned their build system and made my own custom repository with everything I needed...but anyhoo, I'm the kind of weirdo that would rather use & learn Gentoo due to seeing Clear's benchmarks since Clear doesn't support everything and Gentoo does. And my system is one gen too early for Clear...that kinda forces my hand with Clear and Solus to an extent.

That "not a bleeding edge for the sake of it distro" is exactly why. New for the sake of new isn't always the best. Not all of us are like debianxfce.

Comment

Working...
                      X