Linux 5.0 File-System Benchmarks: Btrfs vs. EXT4 vs. F2FS vs. XFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post

if someone steals your computer i doubt he/she will care for what you have on your hdd.
    plus there are so many of "what if" for example what if the person that stole your computer can decrypt your hdd?
    I agree when it comes to non sensitive data but this is an horrible politic around data that IS sensitive. Sometimes you need to store those, some times they are financially valuable, some times they are dangerous. The only real "what if" to take in consideration is, "What if hollywood is a fantasy and encryption is not breakable in a garage?".

Comment

A brtfs test without comparing to zfs seems ... incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
        Please re-run tests on top of dm-crypt. I don't know ANYONE that runs plain unencrypted disks any more.
        I don't know ANYONE that uses encrypted disks on their own machines. I bet most of the non-tech people have no idea what bitlocker is, let alone Linux-related things. Most use encryption just because it's a company laptop and the IT department encrypts the disks by default. I know a lot of companies that don't encrypt their desktops. In fact in some that do, employees often complain because it's annoying, and causes problem when there's power outage or when the PC needs to restart in the night while they're executing something and the PC can't resume automatically to continue the long-running task

Comment

Originally posted by phuclv View Post

I don't know ANYONE that uses encrypted disks on their own machines. I bet most of the non-tech people have no idea what bitlocker is, let alone Linux-related things. Most use encryption just because it's a company laptop and the IT department encrypts the disks by default. I know a lot of companies that don't encrypt their desktops. In fact in some that do, employees often complain because it's annoying, and causes problem when there's power outage or when the PC needs to restart in the night while they're executing something and the PC can't resume automatically to continue the long-running task
          Oh, I do.

My reasons are 1) the already mentioned point of "what if it's stolen" (and I have been stolen), 2) as an additional form of malware protection - I dual-boot and virtualize less-safe OS from time to time, and 3) because it's cool.

Comment

Anyone technically competent is encrypting their data, for numorus reasons.

Comment

I just enabled disk encryption on a VM with Devuan and Runit and I am glad to not encrypt my laptop disk at all, I couldn't handle the further step to add a password just to unlock the partition...

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                Anyone technically competent is encrypting their data, for numorus reasons.
                competent about what? Many technology and cyber security companies aren't even encrypting their desktops and I bet they're competent enough
                encryption is not something special that requires specific knowledge to use. Any layman can just search and enable bitlocker on Windows in minutes

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  There is a thing called pen that you can use on another thing called paper, which will allow you to write down stuff.
                  Use a post-it note, then stick the note near your computer screen. Very secure. I bet!

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post

Use a post-it note, then stick the note near your computer screen. Very secure. I bet!
                    That's usually done in workplaces where the employee does not give a shit and the password is just a thing imposed by the IT department. For things that the user wants to keep secure, much less.

Comment

Is it possible in the future to show the fstab entries for the file systems being tested. I would like to see the tests done without encryption, so as to isolate the FS from the encryption overhead. I use default,relatime for all my SSD partitions.

It would be great as well, if we could see tests with a 50gig partition, which is 50% full, and a 500 gig partition, also 50% full.
                      If I read it right, a MongoDB test of ext4 vs xfs showed that ext4 performs great for smaller partitions (files) and xfs performs better for larger partitions(files).
                      It would help if the tests were done with Sata SSDs and with M.2 SSDs (1 terrabyte sizes for each)

Comment

Working...
                      X