Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.0-rc1 Debuts With New Hardware Support, FreeSync, I3C, High-Res Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.0-rc1 Debuts With New Hardware Support, FreeSync, I3C, High-Res Scrolling

Phoronix: Linux 5.0-rc1 Debuts With New Hardware Support, FreeSync, I3C, High-Res Scrolling

Linus Torvalds ended the Linux 4.21 merge window on Sunday evening and decided to go ahead and rename it to Linux 5.0. Linux 5.0-rc1 is now available to begin the testing process for this next kernel release that will officially debut around the end of February or early March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My reason is Linus is a Speed Racer fan from the 70's thus Linux 5

Comment

So, no 'Give me Five' codename... dissapointed

Comment

I like how MAME versiong going, they are after 22 years just at 0.205 version currently, which gives them a century to reach version 1.0 These also does not have stable ABI, so break people ROMs often - same like with Linux

As of version 0.204 they could emulate even X Window System terminal emulators

But Linus is predictable, in year 2011. he bump 3.0 for not particular reason, then in year 2015. again to 4.0 and now in 2019. we got 5.0... so on 4 years on average numbers get boring it seems
        Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          The kernel works but I have these errors at boot:
          These NVMes seems keep breaking Now go and install amdgpu-wip which would be rebased on this rc

BTW, your definition of "works" is weird
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

These NVMes seems keep breaking Now go and install amdgpu-wip which would be rebased on this rc

BTW, your definition of "works" is weird
            I lol'd. BTW, I already have a pretty good reason not to run the current 4.21/5.0 kernels atm https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109234
            Freesync is tempting but also far from production-ready, when it works its sometimes stuttery and flashes blank screens very often, I remember the earlier implementations worked way better.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post

I lol'd. BTW, I already have a pretty good reason not to run the current 4.21/5.0 kernels atm https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109234
              Well in you case, you should. As you have fairly new B450 chipset and remember to keep BIOS version up to date there

There is Version 0604 available and you have 0601:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

Now, that mention "Improve compatibility and performance for Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors" and you don't have APU there, but you never know as these blobie guys have tendency to never write proper changelogs

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Well in you case, you should. As you have fairly new B450 chipset and remember to keep BIOS version up to date there
                I strongly disagree. If your current BIOS works fine then it's fine and you should keep it. If you want to disagree then that's fine, upgrade your BIOS and find that you can't boot your machine anymore: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1608242

Yes, this happened to me. Current kernels don't hang at boot with the latest AMD BIOSes but things like older LiveUSB/LiveCDs and some distros using older kernels still do. Then there's the matter of suspend to RAM breaking on the latest BIOS on some Gigabyte motherboards...

If it's broken, then sure, go ahead and fix it. But don't break it by "fixing it" when it's not broken..

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post

I strongly disagree. If your current BIOS works fine then it's fine and you should keep it.
                  BIOS versions are easy revertable on new ASUS boards, so it hurts nothing to try

On first 2 years there is a possibilty that BIOS is an issue, that is on average how much support is there too (i don't speak in general but speaking for ASUS mobos, situation with other mobo vendors might be different) So, BIOS updates are recommended particulary for new chipsets. Of course, in case of an issue with some just revert to your working version.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2019, 01:37 AM.

Comment

just updated the bios fine, thanks for noticing dungeon, but 5.0 is still a no go for me until the random hang is solved. I'd love to early upgrade otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X