Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.0-rc1 Debuts With New Hardware Support, FreeSync, I3C, High-Res Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apokalypz
    replied
    "The decision to jump over to Linux 5.0 from Linux 4.21 was decided by Linus Torvalds with the 4.x kernel releases getting high..."

Yea, I think 4.20 should definately be the highest.
    hashtag:itsNotFunnyAnymore

Leave a comment:

• Phush0
    replied
    Mine boot with no graphic driver at all Intel GPU didn't start and amdgpu just report no DC

Leave a comment:

• ryad
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Well in you case, you should. As you have fairly new B450 chipset and remember to keep BIOS version up to date there
    I agree. And in my case strange quirks in no way related to an Athlon APU just disappeared with 0604 on my B450 board, e.g. random system reboots with an Asus Xonar soundcard. I'd always keep my board firmware up to date.

I've never had issues whatsoever when updating the board firmware, even back in the days like 15 years ago when you had to pray that the flashing goes straight through. I've also never experienced problems with the installed OS or the kernel in particular after updating the firmware. Of course that doesn't mean, it's never happening. I'm aware that many people here preach the "never change a running system". Personally, I prefer to use up-to-date software.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    just updated the bios fine, thanks for noticing dungeon, but 5.0 is still a no go for me until the random hang is solved. I'd love to early upgrade otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post

I strongly disagree. If your current BIOS works fine then it's fine and you should keep it.
    BIOS versions are easy revertable on new ASUS boards, so it hurts nothing to try

On first 2 years there is a possibilty that BIOS is an issue, that is on average how much support is there too (i don't speak in general but speaking for ASUS mobos, situation with other mobo vendors might be different) So, BIOS updates are recommended particulary for new chipsets. Of course, in case of an issue with some just revert to your working version.
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2019, 01:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    Well in you case, you should. As you have fairly new B450 chipset and remember to keep BIOS version up to date there
    I strongly disagree. If your current BIOS works fine then it's fine and you should keep it. If you want to disagree then that's fine, upgrade your BIOS and find that you can't boot your machine anymore: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1608242

Yes, this happened to me. Current kernels don't hang at boot with the latest AMD BIOSes but things like older LiveUSB/LiveCDs and some distros using older kernels still do. Then there's the matter of suspend to RAM breaking on the latest BIOS on some Gigabyte motherboards...

If it's broken, then sure, go ahead and fix it. But don't break it by "fixing it" when it's not broken..

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by clapbr View Post

I lol'd. BTW, I already have a pretty good reason not to run the current 4.21/5.0 kernels atm https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109234

There is Version 0604 available and you have 0601:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

Now, that mention "Improve compatibility and performance for Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors" and you don't have APU there, but you never know as these blobie guys have tendency to never write proper changelogs

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied

These NVMes seems keep breaking Now go and install amdgpu-wip which would be rebased on this rc

BTW, your definition of "works" is weird
    I lol'd. BTW, I already have a pretty good reason not to run the current 4.21/5.0 kernels atm https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109234
    Freesync is tempting but also far from production-ready, when it works its sometimes stuttery and flashes blank screens very often, I remember the earlier implementations worked way better.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    The kernel works but I have these errors at boot:
    These NVMes seems keep breaking Now go and install amdgpu-wip which would be rebased on this rc

BTW, your definition of "works" is weird
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    I like how MAME versiong going, they are after 22 years just at 0.205 version currently, which gives them a century to reach version 1.0 These also does not have stable ABI, so break people ROMs often - same like with Linux

As of version 0.204 they could emulate even X Window System terminal emulators

But Linus is predictable, in year 2011. he bump 3.0 for not particular reason, then in year 2015. again to 4.0 and now in 2019. we got 5.0... so on 4 years on average numbers get boring it seems
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 11:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X