Reiser4 Patch Released For Linux 4.20 Kernel Support Plus A Few Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Patch Released For Linux 4.20 Kernel Support Plus A Few Fixes

Phoronix: Reiser4 Patch Released For Linux 4.20 Kernel Support Plus A Few Fixes

While a few days ago I wrote about the Reiser4 port to the Linux 4.20 kernel being a work-in-progress, now it's officially been released with their first tagged patch release since Linux 4.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still wondering why someone would use Reiser4 in this day and age. Sure, when it came out it was interesting, but given the historic development, nowadays we have btrfs & friends, zoo, ...??

Comment

Although it was once promising I do not think it should ever be mainlined. It would taint the kernel with the name of the original creator ('Hans Thomas Reiser') who is guilty of murdering his wife and never deserves such an honour.

ZFS and Btrfs etc are more interesting these days anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by superstructor View Post
        Although it was once promising I do not think it should ever be mainlined. It would taint the kernel with the name of the original creator ('Hans Thomas Reiser') who is guilty of murdering his wife and never deserves such an honour.

ZFS and Btrfs etc are more interesting these days anyway.
        I agree that ZFS or BTRFS are more interesting than ReiserFS, but stating that working software should never be mainlined/used because "human" did something wrong is stupid virtue signaling, if the name causes you so much offense rename it to PureVirtueFS and be done with it. If mankind was so short-sighted no one would be here today.

Comment

It would taint the kernel with the name of the original creator ('Hans Thomas Reiser') who is guilty of murdering his wife and never deserves such an honour.
          And you taint the entire internet with your shitty emotional reasons & opinions.

Comment

I do not think it should ever be mainlined. It would taint the kernel with the name of the original creator ('Hans Thomas Reiser') who is guilty of murdering his wife and never deserves such an honour.
            You might want to stop using Linux as it's already tainted: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/to...eiserfs/README

Comment

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
              You might want to stop using Linux as it's already tainted: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/to...eiserfs/README
              Obviously he wont. It's textbook virtue signaling. Telling other ppl what should be done, without doing anything yourself and trying to rationalize it. 'the world needs to change before I do' basically.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                Still wondering why someone would use Reiser4 in this day and age. Sure, when it came out it was interesting, but given the historic development, nowadays we have btrfs & friends, zoo, ...??
                Probably people who enjoy working on the code base.

Comment

The lock on compress is fixed, that is the best news!

Time to upgrade to 4.20!

By the way, reiser4 is the only FS I tested that never *eaten* data.

Got ton of data loss with EXT2
                  Got some loss with EXT3 and EXT4
                  Got big loss on btrfs, one of the time I was at lease able to mount it in recovery mode and get some back
                  Got loss with XFS long time ago (they probably fixed)

Note to Michael : use mkfs .... -o create=reg40 .... when preparing reiser4 partition for benchmarking again others fs as by default it use ccreg40 and do compression while other FS don't compress by default.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                    Probably people who enjoy working on the code base.
                    That's ... probably not what he meant with "use".

Comment

Working...
                    X