Linux 4.20-ck1 Released With An Updated Version Of MuQSS Scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.20-ck1 Released With An Updated Version Of MuQSS Scheduler

Phoronix: Linux 4.20-ck1 Released With An Updated Version Of MuQSS Scheduler

Con Kolivas has announced a New Year's Eve release of his Linux 4.20-ck1 kernel patch-set and the newest MuQSS scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does this compare to the default these days? CK used to focus on getting things working on one core or a low number of cores better. Most folk have at least 4 cores these days is MuQSS competitive as you increase the core count?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      How does this compare to the default these days? CK used to focus on getting things working on one core or a low number of cores better. Most folk have at least 4 cores these days is MuQSS competitive as you increase the core count?
      "I've extended the runqueue sharing options to all CPUs as well, meaning it can be used in NUMA hardware as a single runqueue if desired."

It looks like some thought was put into that.

Have his patches even been something that you can really benchmark though? Last time I tried them I really couldn't tell any difference, but a lot of people claimed that the desktop was more responsive.

Comment

bfs was simple, is muqss also?
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 31 December 2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I typically use the Zen kernel. How does CK's patchset differ from Zen?

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
            I typically use the Zen kernel. How does CK's patchset differ from Zen?
            It's on their website. Look at the diffs. http://zen-kernel.org/. Among other things, Zen usually includes CK patches, well not always. What frustrates me is that many times Zen make out release without including CK/MuQSS because their release time do not align (my speculation). One day you running 4.19.x with MuQSS, other day you run 4.20 without MuQSS. I recommend Liquorix for Debian/Ubuntu/Gentoo distros, it is much more predictable, at least they don't remove/add CK patches whenever they feel like it.

Comment

I don't know about other distros but on Arch with linux-zen MuQSS isn't used, so it doesn't matter if it's already in the repo or not. It's always just using the optimized CFS from Zen
              Last edited by ObiWan; 01 January 2019, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X