Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2FS Gets More Fixes In Linux 4.21 With The File-System Now Supported By Google's Pixel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raka555
    replied
    A new filesystem shoot-out in 4.21 would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• Zajec
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    F2fs is a good fit for eMMC storage (phones, embedded), where it should provide better performance and lifetime. It competes more with JFFS2
    Except it doesn't because F2FS runs on block-presented devices while JFFS2 runs on raw flash. It's really hard to compare them by their extra features if there are designed for a totally different cases.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by stqn View Post
    Is it time to use F2FS on SSDs instead of, say, ext4? I’m still unsure of the actual benefits of this file system.
    Benefits should be less writes to the underlying flash. But SSDs have their own, very sophisticated algorithms to compensate those along with a lot Ram

F2fs is a good fit for eMMC storage (phones, embedded), where it should provide better performance and lifetime. It competes more with JFFS2 and other logbased filesystem than a ext4 which is journalbased.
    (Tha said I would not mind comparisons on SSD, particularly in terms of how much actual data is written with different fs)

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Is it time to use F2FS on SSDs instead of, say, ext4? I’m still unsure of the actual benefits of this file system.

Edit: I see that it is faster in some (synthetic or database-oriented) benchmarks, but also that it isn’t well-supported by gparted, and it is impossible to shrink f2fs partitions.
    Last edited by stqn; 29 December 2018, 05:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• F2FS Gets More Fixes In Linux 4.21 With The File-System Now Supported By Google's Pixel

Phoronix: F2FS Gets More Fixes In Linux 4.21 With The File-System Now Supported By Google's Pixel

The Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) has some new features for the current Linux 4.21 development cycle but it's mostly fixes stemming from increased testing with Google now supporting this flash-focused file-system for their Pixel device line-up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X