Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Restoring Support For Swap Files With Linux 4.21

Phoronix: Btrfs Restoring Support For Swap Files With Linux 4.21

The Btrfs file-system hasn't supported Swap files on it in early a decade, but that support will be restored again with the upcoming Linux 4.21 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo.

The Btrfs file-system hasn't supported Swap files on it in early a decade, but that support will be restored again with the upcoming Linux 4.21 kernel.

Comment

9 years and its still not stable and reliable?
      I guess I will be using ext4 forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Typo.
        o it's ot.

Comment

Btrfs is considered reliable and is the default filesystem on openSuse.

Comment

Has the RAID5/6 situation improved?

Comment

yep. they haven't removed the warning on the wiki page, but btrfs balance / scrub et al actually works now. used it for a while, no issues yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                Has the RAID5/6 situation improved?
                Yes it has. There have been lots of patches to try to clean things up. The write hole are the remaining stuff that needs to be fixed. (note that other raid implementations such as mdraid do suffer from the write hole as well). On the other hand BTRFS is not yet ready for RAID5/6. issues that pops up on the mailing list is mostly RAID5/6 related these days. A viable workaround is to run data in RAID5/6 mode and metadata in RAID1. That way your filesystem structures should stay sane (since RAID1 and RAID10 is mature and stable), but you may loose some data in case of an accident since that stuff is still in RAID5/6 and that bit is not quite there yet.

Apart from that there has been lots of patches on the mailing list recently, really improving and cleaning things up quite a bit so BTRFS is really moving ahead. I have been using BTRFS since 2013 (even when it was considered unstable) and it has NOT caused any issues for me. Quite the contrary - it has fixed a few ugly nuggets just fine and it is not long since BTRFS cleaned up a corruption on one of my SSD's

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  9 years and its still not stable and reliable?
                  I guess I will be using ext4 forever.
                  How did you come to that conclusion? Been using it for 4-5 years, no issues here.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

How did you come to that conclusion? Been using it for 4-5 years, no issues here.
                    Because it has taken 9 years to support file swap.

Comment

Working...
                    X