PHP 7.3.0 Released With Improved Performance, Foreign Function Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.3.0 Released With Improved Performance, Foreign Function Interface

Phoronix: PHP 7.3.0 Released With Improved Performance, Foreign Function Interface

PHP 7.3 is out today as the first big update in a year to the PHP7 programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, the FFI actually sounds inviting to spend some time playing with it again...

Comment

I haven't used PHP in years, but maybe its nice with Laravel, Silex or Lumen?
      I haven't used those either. But maybe it would be nice.

I use Python lots, but never used it on the web. I wish it was as easy to use Python on the web as it is PHP.
      It would be great if PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, and JavaScript, etc all came together to create a common web server interface, something like CGI or FASTCGI but more modern. Ruby have Rack. Microsoft made OWIN but I don't think anyone picked up on it. These days I mostly code in C# on .NET Core.
      Last edited by uid313; 06 December 2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I haven't used PHP in years, but maybe its nice with Laravel, Silex or Lumen?
        I haven't used those either. But maybe it would be nice.

I use Python lots, but never used it on the web. I wish it was as easy to use Python on the web as it is PHP.
        It would be great if PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, and JavaScript, etc all came together to create a common web server interface, something like CGI or FASTCGI but more modern. Ruby have Rack. Microsoft made OWIN but I don't think anyone picked up on it. These days I mostly code in C# on .NET Core.
        I use Laravel and it's a decent MVC framework. Get's the job done, no major complaints, except it's a PITA if you don't keep up with the updates. Porting from Laravel 4 to 5 was not pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

I use Laravel and it's a decent MVC framework. Get's the job done, no major complaints, except it's a PITA if you don't keep up with the updates. Porting from Laravel 4 to 5 was not pleasant.
          I've never used Laravel, just heard about it. Nowadays I use ASP.NET Core with C# on .NET Core which is amazing and haven't touched PHP in years.
          Back in the days when I did PHP, I never really used any MVC frameworks, I did all code by hand.
          But I looked at the website of Laravel, Silex and Lumen and they seem nice.
          I think what PHP-FIG with PSR did for PHP was really amazing.

Comment

I've never used Laravel, just heard about it. Nowadays I use ASP.NET Core with C# on .NET Core which is amazing and haven't touched PHP in years.
            Back in the days when I did PHP, I never really used any MVC frameworks, I did all code by hand.
            But I looked at the website of Laravel, Silex and Lumen and they seem nice.
            I think what PHP-FIG with PSR did for PHP was really amazing.
            We all started with PHP by hand but that was 10 years ago, aint nobody got time for that. It gets tired reinventing the boilerplate.

I've used ASP.NET for about 6 month and it was fine too. All these MVC frameworks tend to do a good job anyway, it's 2018 and it's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

We all started with PHP by hand but that was 10 years ago, aint nobody got time for that. It gets tired reinventing the boilerplate.

I've used ASP.NET for about 6 month and it was fine too. All these MVC frameworks tend to do a good job anyway, it's 2018 and it's a good thing.
              It's really with ASP.NET on C# on .NET Core and you compile everything and if you done anything wrong it catches the errors at compile time.
              In PHP I would have to get runtimes errors and then fix it. Strongly typed languages that you compile is really nice.

The strong typing really helps me reason around DDD and domain modeling too. I find strong typing helps me with architecture and SOLID.

Comment

It's really with ASP.NET on C# on .NET Core and you compile everything and if you done anything wrong it catches the errors at compile time.
                In PHP I would have to get runtimes errors and then fix it. Strongly typed languages that you compile is really nice.

The strong typing really helps me reason around DDD and domain modeling too. I find strong typing helps me with architecture and SOLID.
                Take a look at phpstan, it gives you much of the same error detection as you would have gotten from a compiler in other languages.

(there are also other alternatives like psalm or phan)

Comment

I've seen it highlighted in every article about PHP 7.3 here but there is no FFI in PHP 7.3.
                  Source 1: it's nowhere on the changelog http://php.net/ChangeLog-7.php
                  Source 2: the RFC is still under discussion and proposed for 7.4 https://wiki.php.net/rfc/ffi

Comment

Working...
                  X