Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.20 I/O Scheduler Benchmarks On NVMe SSD Storage

Phoronix: Linux 4.20 I/O Scheduler Benchmarks On NVMe SSD Storage

Complementing the recent Linux 4.19 I/O scheduler benchmarks using SATA 3.0 SSD storage, here are some benchmarks when using the current Linux 4.20 development kernel and also using faster NVMe solid-state storage for benchmarking. Most Linux distributions default to no I/O scheduler in the case of NVMe SSDs, but for your viewing pleasure today is a look at the performance against MQ Deadline, Kyber, and BFQ.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

paolo

Remind me: Is BFQ compiled with low_latency by default or do I need to specify some kernel configuration flag before it's turned on?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
      paolo

Remind me: Is BFQ compiled with low_latency by default or do I need to specify some kernel configuration flag before it's turned on?
      If low_latency is the default, you don't need to do anything else, but you can confirm via the '/sys/block/DEVICE/queue/iosched/low_latency
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Sequentiual writes
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If low_latency is the default, you don't need to do anything else, but you can confirm via the '/sys/block/DEVICE/queue/iosched/low_latency
          Code:
          $ cat /sys/block/sda/queue/iosched/low_latency
          Lovely.

Comment

I am using Manjaro and so far I had none scheduler for my NVME disks , I guess I will try with BFQ.

Also if cat /sys/block/DEVICE/queue/iosched/low_latency = 1 means that is low latency mode?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
              I am using Manjaro and so far I had none scheduler for my NVME disks , I guess I will try with BFQ.

Also if cat /sys/block/DEVICE/queue/iosched/low_latency = 1 means that is low latency mode?
              Yes 1 means enabled/on.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post

I thought Manjaro defaulted to BFQ already

Comment

That is a mighty fine CPU.

Comment

Cool, I like it. The startup times benches pretty much shows how the desktop responsiveness would feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X