Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.21 Is Sure To Be Another Exciting Kernel Upgrade: FreeSync, Adiantum & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.21 Is Sure To Be Another Exciting Kernel Upgrade: FreeSync, Adiantum & More

Phoronix: Linux 4.21 Is Sure To Be Another Exciting Kernel Upgrade: FreeSync, Adiantum & More

There is still four weeks or so until the Linux 4.20 kernel will be officially christened, but there are already some changes we are excited for that should be on the table with Linux 4.21...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    - Disabling dmesg errors when RETROPLINE is not selected.
    Who cares?

Comment

Missing is:
      - Disabling dmesg errors when RETROPLINE is not selected.
      What kind of RETRO thing is that inside the kernel?

(jk, I know you mean REPOTLINE)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What kind of RETRO thing is that inside the kernel?

(jk, I know you mean REPOTLINE)
        You do mean RETPOLINE, right??? Or is there both RETPOLINE and REPOTLINE? A quick google doesn't make it clear, since it could easily be typoed, as we've seen.

Comment

From my conversation with KDE developers - don't be too excited about adaptive sync support in the kernel. It will take a long time still for Wayland compositors to start supporting it. Kernel support is important of course, but for end user to benefit from it, it should be supported throughout the whole stack.

Comment

Freesync is for gaming, not for desktops. Shouldn't Wayland desktops be flicker free and smooth by design What waste of resources whole Wayland project is. Even current embedded hw is enough fast to run X. They are implementing X features desperately after years of development. It will be never ready, poor design. Nobody supports it, you need to have the Xwayland wrapper.
            Gaming or not, compositors should be aware of the feature, in order for applications to use it.

Comment

Freesync is for gaming, not for desktops. Shouldn't Wayland desktops be flicker free and smooth by design What waste of resources whole Wayland project is. Even current embedded hw is enough fast to run X. They are implementing X features desperately after years of development. It will be never ready, poor design. Nobody supports it, you need to have the Xwayland wrapper.
              I needed a good laugh this morning dude, thanks!

I for one am looking forward (still) to a nice secure by design, every frame is perfect desktop experience that X could never deliver. and heck, just as soon as my chosen DE gets it all the bugs ironed out I will use it in anger.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I needed a good laugh this morning dude, thanks!

I for one am looking forward (still) to a nice secure by design, every frame is perfect desktop experience that X could never deliver. and heck, just as soon as my chosen DE gets it all the bugs ironed out I will use it in anger.
                amen to that.

Comment

When it was decided that we are not going to pump to linux 5.0? Sad..

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    When it was decided that we are not going to pump to linux 5.0? Sad..
                    Back during 4.20-rc1: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-rc1-Released
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X