Some Users Have Been Hitting EXT4 File-System Corruption On Linux 4.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post

A purely COW filesystem does not use a journal so may be more resiliant to the problem since none of the existing disk structures are modified at all, it can read the existing disk structures and write modified versions to new locations. This allows the old unmodified structures to be used for recovery. Not sure if btrfs actually can do this.
    IME, no, BTRFS can't do this all the time, because the way it handles tree extents. You can easily lose everything since your last snapshot, if a tree block can't figure out where it's node or leaf is supposed to be. You will not find this problem with ZFS or HAMMER, or BcacheFS. BTRFS is rather badly constructed. Certainly not by lack of ressources or the intelligence of the devs. Sometimes, you just can't fix a bad design. BTRFS is COW, but not COW done right. It is very fast, I'll give it that, and when it works, it works great. But spectacular castastrophic failures still happen all the time. Just ask the BTRFS devs on freenode.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
      Ah, I was wondering where the raving anti-CoC lunatics had gone.
      And calling people of different opinion "lunatics" reflects the spirit of that CoC, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        Sometimes, you just can't fix a bad design. BTRFS is COW, but not COW done right. It is very fast, I'll give it that, and when it works, it works great. But spectacular castastrophic failures still happen all the time. Just ask the BTRFS devs on freenode.
        I almost lost hundreds of gigabytes of video (wedding camera footage) to btrfs and wasted 2 weeks attempting to repair or recover through the tools. I eventually was able to start the process of manually coping every not-broken-thing to some other hard drives. The problem is that when my 12TB btrfs RAID10 pool did that, I needed another 12TB, so I had to delete my several terabyte steam library, and I've already been redownloading it since a week ago. My internet max speed is 1MB/s down...

Luckily, when originally transferring those video files, I remembered how technology tries to screw me over, so I copied the files in two other places.

Comment

Haven't noticed any corruption problems using 4.19 under Mint. However I recently pulled my Radeon 5450 card and put in a GCN 1.0 HD7770 instead. I added the kernel switches to turn off radeon driver and turn on amdgpu driver for SI and CI cards. After that I can boot up installed 4.15, 4.17,4.18 kernels and they're all fine and inxi -xxxG shows the amdgpu driver active for the card with working Vulkan. Booting up 4.19 causes Cinnamon to complain that it's running in software mode, and inxi -xxxG shows that neither amdgpu nor radeon drivers are loaded and it's using vesa driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            I'm getting ext4 corruption on 4.19 that I don't have on 4.18. Thought it was just me.
            Me too. When I had 4.19.1 installed I was getting readings filesystems when I came into work in the mornings regularly. Roll back to 4.18 and it's fine.

Note: I'm running on an encrypted root partition, so I wasn't sure if it was ext4 or the encrytencr layer that was messing up.

Haswell based Thinkpad t440p with a 480-500gb SSD if it makes a difference

Comment

Hey folks, just came by to say that "journalctl -b-1 -p3 | tail -100" showed me a bunch of new failures on my HDD too now, so it's probably not SSD hardware related... reverted to 4.18.x for now, can't afford to break my main PC like this while waiting for a fix.

Comment

and here I thought my SSDs were going bad

Comment

So Linus leaves and the kernel becomes exciting instead of boring? Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                    And calling people of different opinion "lunatics" reflects the spirit of that CoC, I guess?
                    Well, bigoted people who want to continue being racist, sexist, misogynist, ableist, anti-Semitic, Islamaphobic etc. aren't people with different opinions - they're crappy horrible people.

But enough of this bullshit - I'm not interested in arguing uselessly with such people, and to continue polluting this thread with nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post

I've been running 4.19.x on three Gentoo systems for several weeks now, with not problems. I just checked, and "# CONFIG_EXT4_ENCRYPTION is not set".
                      I've got 27 days uptime on 4.19.0-rc8, I do have the CONFIG_EXT4_ENCRYPTION set and I'm not seeing issues. I strongly suspect the issue is something other than ext4 itself, but I have no idea.
                      Whenever something like this comes up, thousands of people will chime in with all the different random problems they have, some caused by bad hardware, some caused by who knows what. I wouldn't put much faith in responses on forums like these because there are way too many possibilities with all the varied hardware and software combinations, not to mention knowledge levels.
                      I'll trust the devs to sort it all out, and I don't envy their job.

Comment

Working...
                      X