• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFS ftw

Comment

I can confirm these errors - they are also in 4.19.5

Comment

I've experienced corruption on a few hundred files, when switching from multi-queue block deadline to mq-blk none. Might not be related to mq-blk, but it happened in the past 3 weeks. I have full backups, so it's not that bad. What's terrible is that most errors I only found because I keep checksum log audits. If someone doesn't, and got some corruption, they might never know it.

I've since re-migrated to btrfs, but hey, with my luck, that will get corrupted also. I actually switched from btrfs to ext4 because I was tired of unfixable problems btrfs would throw up every few months when running a scrub. Can't wait for bcachefs.

Comment

I also experienced data corruption on the 4.19 kernel. At first I thought it was due to a faulty M.2 SSD, which I tried for a full day to flash to the latest firmware. Then giving up reinstalling Ubuntu on the second SSD in my laptop, without using the smaller M.2 SSD. After installation I updating to the latest kernel using ukuu I got the same io errors, having the root partition remounting as read-only during use. Switching back to 4.18 and everything is fine again. After these errors happened again on the second SSD I gathered it must be something other than a faulty SSD. Searched for kernel related corruption issues and found the lkml.org thread and later this one.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
            I've experienced corruption on a few hundred files, when switching from multi-queue block deadline to mq-blk none. Might not be related to mq-blk, but it happened in the past 3 weeks. I have full backups, so it's not that bad. What's terrible is that most errors I only found because I keep checksum log audits. If someone doesn't, and got some corruption, they might never know it.

I've since re-migrated to btrfs, but hey, with my luck, that will get corrupted also. I actually switched from btrfs to ext4 because I was tired of unfixable problems btrfs would throw up every few months when running a scrub. Can't wait for bcachefs.
            the ext4 problem could be a problem with broken hardware and the SCSI subsystems, could affect other FSs, but it could be that ext4s usage pattern only activates the problem, but not other FSs, this has been a problem before with some hardware badly supporting needed SCSI demands relating to flushing of buffers to the disk and ensuring data actually gets written to disk. Its vital that the journal gets to disk before any of the data structures of the filesystem are changed in case there is a power outage. There are out of order cache flushes happening which make it harder to predict when data is written to disk so the other layers depend on knowing when blocks actually reach the disk by getting a notification that a block reached the disk, some hardware badly supported this, and it is necessary for implementing write barriers needed for a journalling FS. So maybe there is some sort of strange flushing issue going on. Could also be something going on with the PCI bus or memory, memory corruption problems, DMA problems, a bug that trashes memory of other kernel subsystems, etc.

A purely COW filesystem does not use a journal so may be more resiliant to the problem since none of the existing disk structures are modified at all, it can read the existing disk structures and write modified versions to new locations. This allows the old unmodified structures to be used for recovery. Not sure if btrfs actually can do this.
            Last edited by jpg44; 28 November 2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
              I tend to believe corruption really does come from outside of ext4 driver. 4.19 is a total wreck of a release. People report all kinds of problems. I myself was getting random freezes every few hours. I do not recall such a disastrous release.
              I had problems with 4.19 too, but it was just the AMDGPU driver. I just switched over to using radeon driver, and just use the Intel GPU on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

Hah i came here just after realizing that. Linus becomes nice and kernel goes to shitz.
                Ah, I was wondering where the raving anti-CoC lunatics had gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Rolling Release must be so awesome to force this kind of breakage on you right?
                  Are there rolling release distros that automatically update the major/minor versions of kernels?
                  I have a couple systems still using 4.14 LTS. On Manjaro, the kernel major/minor version isn't updated unless you specifically install the new version. Only point releases are automatically updated (i.e. 4.14.1 to 4.14.2).

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                    And I was thinking that maybe switching back to EXT4 (+HW RAID/MDADM) was safer than keeping Btrfs (no RAID5/6)…
                    Actually this ext4 issue ruined my ubuntu install and made me go back go btrfs. I also wanted an excuse to go back to Gentoo, so that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                      And I was thinking that maybe switching back to EXT4 (+HW RAID/MDADM) was safer than keeping Btrfs (no RAID5/6)…
                      Btrfs without RAID5/6 is perfectly safe. But then, so should be ext4.

Comment

Working...
                      X