Some Users Have Been Hitting EXT4 File-System Corruption On Linux 4.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Users Have Been Hitting EXT4 File-System Corruption On Linux 4.19

Phoronix: Some Users Have Been Hitting EXT4 File-System Corruption On Linux 4.19

Adding to the headaches around Linux 4.19 stable is an EXT4 file-system corruption issue that has yet to be sorted out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I was thinking that maybe switching back to EXT4 (+HW RAID/MDADM) was safer than keeping Btrfs (no RAID5/6)…

Comment

I tend to believe corruption really does come from outside of ext4 driver. 4.19 is a total wreck of a release. People report all kinds of problems. I myself was getting random freezes every few hours. I do not recall such a disastrous release.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        I tend to believe corruption really does come from outside of ext4 driver. 4.19 is a total wreck of a release. People report all kinds of problems. I myself was getting random freezes every few hours. I do not recall such a disastrous release.
        Huh. I'm sure it varies from one setup to another, but I've been running 4.19 on a couple of machines without any issues.

Comment

Hey all, I'm real curious. Would it be possible to track the hardware configuration plus config of the kernel?
          Distro involved, userland tools.. Although they should 'build upon' functionality in the kernel providing support for EXT4, couldn't they be the culprint?
          Or am I misreading and it just took a reboot into the new kernel to cause the issue?

Comment

I'm getting ext4 corruption on 4.19 that I don't have on 4.18. Thought it was just me.

Comment

It is the one where Linus was on holiday ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

It is the one where Linus was on holiday ?
                Hah i came here just after realizing that. Linus becomes nice and kernel goes to shitz.

Comment

4.19 is a total wreck of a release
                  It's times like this that I'm glad Dedian Sid is somewhat conservative with their kernel updates compared to for example Arch.

Comment

Strange. Have been using 4.19.x for weeks on Arch and i have no issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X