Some Users Have Been Hitting EXT4 File-System Corruption On Linux 4.19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
    Damn, I read this thread a days ago, but I had just been hit by the corruption problem. Running 4.19.5. (And I was installing 4.19.6 during this time, I don't know if that version fix the problem). I revert to 4.18 now. Using linux mint 19 on a SSD.
    Would you mind to participate in this thread/bug report:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201685

Comment

I use only Btrfs and Xfs on my PCs and I have never had any problems, in fact I have never had problems even with Ext4. Ok, there are some users who have a problem, it can happen with any file system, but all these file systems are still reliable. Reading the comments I get the impression that even the file systems have their irreducible fans boy, which is sad. When I read I switched from Btrfs to Ext4 because this or because that's ridiculous enough, learn to better configure what you need to use and you'll see that it will work fine.

Comment

I had the issue with 4.19.5 on my old machine (intel broadwell nuc, samsung 850 pro ssd) and, as with the others here, fsck on reboot and reverting to 4.18.x fixed it. In my new machine (ryzen 2700x, evo 970 nvme) I don't have it even though I do use ext4 locally for everything (2 ssds & 1 hdd), (and CONFIG_EXT4_ENCRYPTION is on for ubuntu kernels). So maybe it's drivers+hardware related. Or could it be an intel (chipset) vs. amd thing?

What do you guys use, those of you who experienced it?

Comment

Pinned as blk-mq bug. Rip btrfs users clamoring for an ext4 bug. =P

Comment

I wasn't aware that there was a flame war between btrfs and ext4 users. They are both great and have been perfectly stable for me. I use ext4 on my local machine, jfs on my mini-server (scratch drive), and btfs there too for the raid1'd hdds (checksums, bitrot prevention and all that).

Comment

Michael

The bug has seemingly been identified and a fix has been submitted to mainline. 4.19/4.20 are currently still affected.

Check the bug report discussion for more details.

People who run the affected systems should either apply the patch immediately or downgrade to kernel 4.18. Running e2fsck/your-fs.fsck is pretty much mandatory.
              Last edited by birdie; 12-05-2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Michael

The bug has seemingly been identified and a fix has been submitted to mainline. 4.19/4.20 are currently still affected.

Check the bug report discussion for more details.

People who run the affected systems should either apply the patch immediately or downgrade to kernel 4.18. Running e2fsck/your-fs.fsck is pretty much mandatory.
                It has not been submitted to mainline yet. By upstream, it's just in Jens' "block" upstream branch. It hasn't yet been sent in or pulled to Linus Torvalds mainline branch. I've been monitoring it closely and will have out a Phoronix article when it's actually in Linux Git and/or back-ported.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  I was laughing at all the Windows 10 updates shenanigans since October, but looks like we have our own problems too.

I'm glad I stayed with kernel 4.15 (Kubuntu 18.04), after the first benchmark Michael did showing only marginal improvements in most games since the beginning of the year.
                  Well, there is a reason why most distros won't just grab the lastest mainline kernel immediately. Linux development is a kind of unusual case, since the kernel is developed separately from the rest of the OS. "Released" seems to more like mean that the kernel is released to distro developers for integration testing...

Comment

Working...
                  X