X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Simply because of things like that. [....]

I also have a separate /home partition [...]
    A separate home makes lots of sense, IMHO. Yet, due to full disk encryption (including boot partition ) and restricted size of SSDs, I moved to a one (resp. two, another one for swap) partition setup. Using subvolumes, the free space of system and home can be shared. That's really great for small SSDs (like the 256GiB one in my notebook). And since everything is in one partition, there is no need for LVM to encrypt everything with the same key.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

A separate home makes lots of sense, IMHO. Yet, due to full disk encryption (including boot partition ) and restricted size of SSDs, I moved to a one (resp. two, another one for swap) partition setup. Using subvolumes, the free space of system and home can be shared. That's really great for small SSDs (like the 256GiB one in my notebook). And since everything is in one partition, there is no need for LVM to encrypt everything with the same key.
      What benefit do you see in a separate home, assuming you don't have many distros on the same machine.
      (My main SSD is way smaller than yours, and I don't see a problem
      I got a bigger one later, but it died once and since I got it replaced I don't trust it and only use it for bcache...)

Comment

Originally posted by leidola View Post
        Who uses separate boot partitions nowadays?
        Luks encrypted root and until now zstd compressed root force you to without a lot of workarounds.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          I also have a separate /home partition, but this one, I cannot think of a single benefit it gives me now.
          Have different raid modes in that partition ?
          (currently, on my lap top, system is RAID0 for data, whereas home is RAID1 for data. Both have RAID1 for metadata).

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Have different raid modes in that partition ?
            (currently, on my lap top, system is RAID0 for data, whereas home is RAID1 for data. Both have RAID1 for metadata).
            Nope, no RAID for anything, and no difference of FS whatsoever between the 2.

Comment

Working...
            X