Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Linux Kernel Performance From 4.10 To 4.20

Phoronix: A Look At The Linux Kernel Performance From 4.10 To 4.20

Here is a look at how the Linux kernel performance has evolved since Linux 4.10, which was released back in February of 2017, up through the current Linux 4.20 development cycle ahead of its debut at the end of December or early January. All of the Linux kernel benchmarks were done on the same venerable Intel Core i7 5960X system.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27162

Doing great job, Michael.
    Would be even better with reference benchmarks with speculative mitigations off or using an unaffected device.

Comment

Could I disable the Spectre/Meltdown patch only for GIMP and music creation programs where performance is desired? I have AMD Kaveri A8-7600 APU.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Could I disable the Spectre/Meltdown patch only for GIMP and music creation programs where performance is desired? I have AMD Kaveri A8-7600 APU.
        If you have an AMD chip, you are safe from Meltdown. Only Intel's x86 chips are vulnerable to Meltdown.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 11-26-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

AMD isn't safe from Spectre, am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            AMD isn't safe from Spectre, am I right?
            It is safe if mitigated

Code:
            > grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/* | cut -c41-
            l1tf:Not affected
            meltdown:Not affected
            spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
            spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
            spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              If you have an AMD chip, you are safe from Meltdown. Only Intel's x86 chips are vulnerable to Meltdown.
              There is new Meltdown-BR subvariant where AMD might be affected too, but it is about 32-bit x86... So if you are on 64bit you are safe

Or at least AMD didn't responded on this newly identified BR variant yet
              Last edited by dungeon; 11-26-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Michael, if i may suggest, reading this on mobile you can't easily see if a chart has 'higher is better' or 'lower is better'. Could this be done via colors? E.g. - red bars mean lower is better, blue bars mean higher is better...?

Comment

Thank you for this Michael!

I wish the kernel had some automated stuff like that happening continuously to find less than desirable commits. Maybe you could get subsidized by the Linux Foundation or along for doing this daily?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    Thank you for this Michael!

I wish the kernel had some automated stuff like that happening continuously to find less than desirable commits. Maybe you could get subsidized by the Linux Foundation or along for doing this daily?
                    I've had the infrastructure to do it daily (now bi-daily) for years albeit don't focus on it too much due to no funding/time to support the effort, sadly. So I also don't run many interesting tests due to time/energy requirements and then also cut it back to being bi-daily due to electrical costs and capacity -

http://linuxbenchmarking.com/?daily-...x-kernel-tests
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X