• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LLVMLinux logo was leet:
    hgf

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
      "shaking out GCC'isms" you mean supporting a shit compiler half-implementing GCC, cute. Long live GCC and GNU C
      They mean respecting OPEN STANDARDS to allow PORTABILITY, two fundamental things for FOSS.
      No matter how good GCC is, good code should be portable across compilers as much as possible (and across OSs, but when some OS does not respect standards, I do not think you can blame developers for not supporting it; unfortunately, when this OS is the most used, developers tends to develop for it and forget standards...).

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

They mean respecting OPEN STANDARDS to allow PORTABILITY, two fundamental things for FOSS.
        No matter how good GCC is, good code should be portable across compilers as much as possible (and across OSs, but when some OS does not respect standards, I do not think you can blame developers for not supporting it; unfortunately, when this OS is the most used, developers tends to develop for it and forget standards...).
        I don't think Linux will ever stop using inline assembly, and I don't think C will standardize inline assembly either, so Linux will never be completely compliant C …

Comment

No nested functions supported by Clang

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
            "shaking out GCC'isms" you mean supporting a shit compiler half-implementing GCC, cute. Long live GCC and GNU C
            No he means supporting an excellent compiler that pays attention to kanguage standards.

By the way if anything GCC has benefited hugely from LLVM/CLang. The development of this alternative has lead to a renewed interest in improving GCC and eliminating some of its limitations. You should be happy that CLang exists or you would most certainly be working with a shit compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

I don't think Linux will ever stop using inline assembly, and I don't think C will standardize inline assembly either, so Linux will never be completely compliant C …
              Maybe but there is far less inline than in the past and it hasn’t hurt anything. I’m not a big fan of inline assembly anyways so probably biased. Frankly I honest believe that’s policy of no inline code would do Linux more good that the “Code of Conduct”. It becomes a question of readability and long term maintenance in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe but there is far less inline than in the past and it hasn’t hurt anything. I’m not a big fan of inline assembly anyways so probably biased. Frankly I honest believe that’s policy of no inline code would do Linux more good that the “Code of Conduct”. It becomes a question of readability and long term maintenance in my mind.
                I was talking about technical impossibility, unless you want to prescribe a particular ABI and make inlining of ASM routines by the compiler impossible (by putting the code into out-of-line assembler source files).
                There is a lot of CPU functionality (and language implementation details), especially the kinds that an OS kernel needs to deal with, that C will never expose …

Comment

No he means supporting an excellent compiler that pays attention to kanguage standards.
                  Nobody cares about crippled language standards and it's not excellent by any means.
                  Well yeah this explains everything.

Ofc you're not a big fan of something that your "excellent" compiler is poor against.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Nobody cares about crippled language standards and it's not excellent by any means.Well yeah this explains everything.

Ofc you're not a big fan of something that your "excellent" compiler is poor against.
                    Yeah, its almost like when those crappy browsers encrouched on the pitch-perfect hegemony of IE6 and the webpages that only ran there.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

Oh wow. You better back those strong words.
                      Nah, I think strong words is all RedFoxMoron has ...

Comment

Working...
                      X