Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PostgreSQL 11.1 Released To Address The Latest Open-Source Security Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 11.1 Released To Address The Latest Open-Source Security Vulnerability

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 11.1 Released To Address The Latest Open-Source Security Vulnerability

PostgreSQL 11.1 is out today with fixes over last month's PostgreSQL 11 introduction but there are also updates to the 10.6, 9.6, 9.4, 9.4, and 9.3 release streams due to a new security issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish PostgreSQL would rename all executables to carry the pg_ prefix.
    Then have a "pg" tool to act as a wrapper for all the pg_ tools. Kind of like the "dotnet" tool does.
    The PostgreSQL userspace is a mess, it puts lots of different binaries files on the file system without any prefixes, so its very confusing and non-intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wish PostgreSQL would rename all executables to carry the pg_ prefix.
      Then have a "pg" tool to act as a wrapper for all the pg_ tools. Kind of like the "dotnet" tool does.
      The PostgreSQL userspace is a mess, it puts lots of different binaries files on the file system without any prefixes, so its very confusing and non-intuitive.
      I wish people complaining about issues would do so in the appropriate channels and not over and over and over again in news forums each time the problematic software is mentioned.

Comment

What's PostgreSQL like? I've heard we're possibly moving to it at work from Oracle. I know Oracle is teh evil, but it is nice to work with as a user. I work in data analysis so I spend most of my day in databases

Comment

Well, the whole pg _dump is fucking stupid.. you make a pg_dump and try to import it.. it fails because of foreign key violations. You need to manually disable constraints... on mysql it just works without any fiddling. Postgres has ways to go in user friendly department. pg_basebackup on the other hand is complicated AF and you need to really deep dive into documentation and try not to do something bad.
          Last edited by cen1; 08 November 2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Well, the whole pg _dump is fucking stupid.. you make a pg_dump and try to import it.. it fails because of foreign key violations. You need to manually disable constraints... on mysql it just works without any fiddling. Postgres has ways to go in user friendly department. pg_basebackup on the other hand is complicated AF and you need to really deep dive into documentation and try not to do something bad.
            You're doing something horribly wrong ... or more likely, you'r lying. I've never had foreign key violation issues importing dumps from pg_dump. pg_basebackup is wonderful to use - in particular it's a much nicer way of setting up replication than what you have to go through for MySQL.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              What's PostgreSQL like? I've heard we're possibly moving to it at work from Oracle. I know Oracle is teh evil, but it is nice to work with as a user. I work in data analysis so I spend most of my day in databases
              If you want to know how PostgreSQL is like for data analysis, this is an excellent read. While comparing PostgreSQL to MS SQL for data analysis, it does provide an excellent picture of the many, many benefits PostgreSQL offers for data analysis work.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

On Debian, it all goes to
                Code:
                /usr/lib/postgresql/{version}/bin
                Of the 32 binaries, 13 don't start with "pg_":
                Code:
                clusterdb
                createdb
                createuser
                dropdb
                dropuser
                initdb
                oid2name
                postgres
                postmaster
                psql
                reindexdb
                vacuumdb
                vacuumlo

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  I'm totally biased towards postgresql, but it is awesome, at the company that I work for, we use postgres since version 8.4, when mysql wasn't handling our use-case anymore

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

You're doing something horribly wrong ... or more likely, you'r lying. I've never had foreign key violation issues importing dumps from pg_dump. pg_basebackup is wonderful to use - in particular it's a much nicer way of setting up replication than what you have to go through for MySQL.
                    Just doing data only pgdump and restore via pgadmin. How horribly wrong can it be?

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questi...ey-constraints

Comment

Working...
                    X