No announcement yet.

KTask Revived For Providing In-Kernel Multi-Threading For CPU Intensive Tasks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTask Revived For Providing In-Kernel Multi-Threading For CPU Intensive Tasks

Phoronix: KTask Revived For Providing In-Kernel Multi-Threading For CPU Intensive Tasks

It's been just about one year since the last patch series was sent out while on Monday marked a new revision to KTask, the effort that provides a generic framework to parallelize CPU-intensive kernel work...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l-Multi-Thread

I've read the entire news piece and I still cannot figure out why this thing is needed and why the built-in kernel scheduler cannot do it.

Comment

It sounds like a thread pool that's specialized for data parallelism, without any features like work-stealing (which may not be that useful in these scenarios). So it doesn't seem particularly fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I've read the entire news piece and I still cannot figure out why this thing is needed and why the built-in kernel scheduler cannot do it.
        Did seem to be a bit thin.

Does anybody know know why it was dropped in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Does anybody know know why it was dropped in the first place?
          Based on the phrasing "it's great to see the code revived", I assume it was left un-maintained for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Based on the phrasing "it's great to see the code revived", I assume it was left un-maintained for a while.
            Yeah just took a year for new code revision to be published... Presumably as the Oracle dev was busy with other work.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seam nice, especially if it speed up other thing than the most useless thing to speed up (the boot, because I don't use my system for just loop reboot, in that case uefi and SCSI/SAS initialization optimization would be a bigger priority ).

Comment

If it can be sped up through cpu paralization, it doesn't really belong in the kernel.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
                  Seam nice, especially if it speed up other thing than the most useless thing to speed up (the boot, because I don't use my system for just loop reboot, in that case uefi and SCSI/SAS initialization optimization would be a bigger priority ).
                  Neither does enterprise practise boot loops. LSI's SAS RAID controllers could just themselves take like 2 minutes to initialize. It's one thing enterprise does not care about because reboots are few .

Comment

Working...
                  X