No announcement yet.

Linux 4.20-rc1 Kernel Released As The Kernel Hits Its Highest Point For 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.20-rc1 Kernel Released As The Kernel Hits Its Highest Point For 2018

Phoronix: Linux 4.20-rc1 Kernel Released As The Kernel Hits Its Highest Point For 2018

The next kernel release was either going to be Linux 4.20 or Linux 5.0 and today Linus Torvalds decided it would be the "4.20" kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It begins...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 04 November 2018, 08:24 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

So -- It has come to this.

Comment

I really really hope kernel 4.20 has the codename "blaze it."

Comment

perpetually high likes this

Comment

That Linus's LKML post was painful to read. Should have just posted a one or two lines about friggin getting their work done in time for the merge window. Instead of that novel.

The people LKML is intended for are adults, they don't need to be told why, they just need to be told to get it done or else their crap isn't going to fly.

Comment

fyi the Ubuntu kernel builds for 4.20-rc1 are currently not working with the current patch set. Might need to wait til -rc2 to be addressed. Build log here.

EDIT: so I went ahead and compiled 4.20-rc1 without the above patches and I am VERY happy to announce the bug with 144hz displays and AMD gpu's (that was present in all versions of kernel 4.19) is now fixed in 4.20! Rejoice!!
              Last edited by perpetually high; 06 November 2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Best part of Linux 4.20 .. knowing that it's called 4.20

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use mainline kernels from kernel.org. It compiles fine and you can get my custom kernels from:
                  fetch-url https://packagecloud.io/debianxfce/customkernel/gpgkey /target/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/packagecloud.asc
                  in-target add-apt-repository -y "deb https://packagecloud.io/debianxfce/customkernel/debian/ buster main"
                  It's the mainline kernel...

(And you keep recommending the agd5f WIP kernel)

Comment

I think Linus's agenda was to embarass Michael. After he saw Michael calling the kernel 4.20/5.0 again and again in every article for months, he just said "nuh, let's make Michael wrong, let's make 4.21 be 5.0, that would be fun!"

Seriously, this is a hype tactic. Since he admited the 5.0 is next year, people are going to speculate what kernel will change. Taking bets for 4.21, 4.22, 4.23, 4.24, 4.25, people!

Comment

Working...
                    X