Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WireGuard Didn't Make it To The Mainline Linux Kernel This Cycle

Phoronix: WireGuard Didn't Make it To The Mainline Linux Kernel This Cycle

While there are a lot of great new features, hardware support improvements, and other changes with the Linux 4.20 development cycle, not found in this mainline kernel is the long-awaited WireGuard functionality for an in-kernel secure VPN tunnel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To avoid DKMS, you could either:
    1. Use Intel Clearlinux, which has WireGuard as its native module.
    2. Use Archlinux(-based), and install linux-clear from AUR.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
      Do I want to avoid DKMS?

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

Do I want to avoid DKMS?
        Yesss.

Comment

Neither DKMS nor auto-module ever bothered me.
          Incompatible sources (mod & kern) however...

Comment

Last time I checked kernel ml (initial patches sent for review), crypto maintainer didn't like the idea of this new crypto API just for the sake of it. Did anything change in consecutive patches to address that? If not, I don't think wireguard will be mainlined anytime soon.

Edit: it seems consecutive patches are mostly focused on zinc, as most of the patch code is actually there.
            Last edited by reavertm; 03 November 2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

True, though on Arch Linux the DKMS module has worked very well for me, and the WireGuard version included in linux-clear is always a bit old.

Comment

This is a little disappointing, but as long as it makes it for the next LTS kernel I'll be happy.

Comment

Wireguard and Bcachefs are at the top of my wishlist I've got kernels compiled with support, but I would like to install to it with a livecd. Tried making my own livecd but I don't have the time to sink into making it work yet.
                  Last edited by profoundWHALE; 04 November 2018, 03:14 AM.

Comment

3. use OpenSuse and install the kernel module for it from the OBS, following the instructions on the official wireguard site https://www.wireguard.com/install/

4. use Mageia linux.

5. use a portable minirouter like the ones from GL.Inet (they also have one that looks like a wifi dongle and connects on USB using standard RNDIS usb-ethernet drivers) and install Wireguard kernel module (it's probably better to upgrade to latest version of OpenWrt firmware first) and the addon to control it from the OpenWrt web interface.

Comment

Working...
                    X