Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB Bootloader Now Supports Reading Disks With Btrfs RAID 5/6

Phoronix: GRUB Bootloader Now Supports Reading Disks With Btrfs RAID 5/6

As the first commits to upstream GRUB in one month, this GNU boot-loader now supports reading Btrfs file-systems in RAID5 or RAID6 modes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Uhm... I don't think raid 5/6 is considered safe enough for production.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Mostly I use systemd-boot now, but good to see this being added to grub. So far I still use btrfs RAID1, but switching to 5 or 6 is an option at some point.

Comment

When is it gonna get zstd?

Comment

Using data partitions on btrfs raid5/6 is for the brave... booting from a btrfs raid5/6 is for the daredevils...

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            Using data partitions on btrfs raid5/6 is for the brave... booting from a btrfs raid5/6 is for the daredevils...
            No more so than using other software raids without battery backup. The write hole problem affects md raid too, unless you use journal device.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Uhm... I don't think raid 5/6 is considered safe enough for production.
              And what does that have to do with whether or not grub support booting it?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

And what does that have to do with whether or not grub support booting it?
                "If you are on a recent kernel (say Linux 4.16+ appears to be in good shape), the Btrfs RAID code for these levels should be in good shape."
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                  When is it gonna get zstd?
                  The patches were already pushed on the mailing list. The review process is in place. However in order to avoid conflicts the zstd coded needed to wait the RAID5/6 code inclusion.

Comment

Last time I tested the BTRFS RAID5 I pulled a drive, wrote some data to the degraded array, then plugged the drive back in and the whole filesystem became corrupted. BTRFS is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X