Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    Or, y'know, use a filesystem that does snapshots
    I think there's still a bounty on getting native encryption support into BTRFS for possible Android use, that'd give them snapshot support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

I think there's still a bounty on getting native encryption support into BTRFS for possible Android use, that'd give them snapshot support.
      I think Android would benefit from a deduplication filesystem. The majority of apps bundle the support libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        So Google are working on software that makes it so data deleted by the user isn't really deleted and can easily be accessed/restored at a later time...

Nothing to see here folks... move along...
        I hope you realize that this is how most file systems work since the beginning of file systems. When you delete a file, it's actually still there, it was just removed from the directories index and the space it used can be reused. But until this happen you can restore the file. This just makes the reuse case of space used by deleted files less random.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          How about actually update Android to handle updates properly rather than doing work-arounds.
          Care to elaborate? If done properly, Android utilises a dual system partition to do updates. This means the system can be updated while running and if the update fails, the live system partition is still good. It's basically blue/green on the device.

The problem is that manufacturers have to actually set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kushan View Post

Care to elaborate? If done properly, Android utilises a dual system partition to do updates. This means the system can be updated while running and if the update fails, the live system partition is still good. It's basically blue/green on the device.
            That seems like a good way of doing it. Presumably this means that the OS must be rebooted so that it can switch over to using the updated partition?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

That seems like a good way of doing it. Presumably this means that the OS must be rebooted so that it can switch over to using the updated partition?
              Yup, that's exactly what happens. Update downloads and installs in the background while you continue to use your device, then a quick reboot and you're done.

Lots of info, including additional benefits, are here: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/ab

Comment

Working...
              X