Google Developing "DM-BOW" For Using Drive's Free Space For Data Snapshots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Developing "DM-BOW" For Using Drive's Free Space For Data Snapshots

Phoronix: Google Developing "DM-BOW" For Using Drive's Free Space For Data Snapshots

Google engineers are developing the DM-BOW device mapper driver with plans to use the code on Android devices to provide a restoration path should a system upgrade fail...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...totype-Backups

Or, y'know, use a filesystem that does snapshots

Comment

Seems quite complicated...

Comment

How about actually update Android to handle updates properly rather than doing work-arounds.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Google Developing "DM-BOW" For Using Drive's Free Space For Data Snapshots

Google engineers are developing the DM-BOW device mapper driver with plans to use the code on Android devices to provide a restoration path should a system upgrade fail...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...totype-Backups
          Now this is cool. I use a Gentoo system, but I don't upgrade the way other people do. I have the gentoo installation fully scripted to make a filesystem image. So an upgrade to me is just booting to a newer image and dealing with userspace configuration differences. And this will be nice for my needs.

Comment

When you wrote Drive in the title, I thought you meant Google Drive, especially since we don't talk much about drives for androids but sdcards usually.

Comment

So Google are working on software that makes it so data deleted by the user isn't really deleted and can easily be accessed/restored at a later time...

Nothing to see here folks... move along...

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                When you wrote Drive in the title, I thought you meant Google Drive, especially since we don't talk much about drives for androids but sdcards usually.
                I hoped, especially with Google working to pass Google Drive access to their Crostini Linux VMs in ChromeOS

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                  So Google are working on software that makes it so data deleted by the user isn't really deleted and can easily be accessed/restored at a later time...

Nothing to see here folks... move along...
                  It's not that innovative anyway, 'cause when I delete an e-mail on Outlook dot com and empty the trash, I can still restore it for some time. So MS has this feature working in the cloud already and on desktop, we have similar things with ZFS and btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's not that innovative anyway, 'cause when I delete an e-mail on Outlook dot com and empty the trash, I can still restore it for some time. So MS has this feature working in the cloud already and on desktop, we have similar things with ZFS and btrfs.
                    I know. It still really stood out to me though because... you know... it's Google.

Comment

Working...
                    X