XArray Tries Once Again To Get Merged Into The Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XArray Tries Once Again To Get Merged Into The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: XArray Tries Once Again To Get Merged Into The Mainline Linux Kernel

Going back several release cycles has been an effort to add the XArray data structure to the Linux kernel but to date that hasn't happened. It wasn't accepted for Linux 4.19 and now Matthew Wilcox -- who began this work about two years ago as a programmer at Microsoft -- is hoping Linux 4.20~5.0 will be the lucky release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    Is this still based upon linux-nvdimm?
    Why are you posting nonsense like this?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
      Is this still based upon linux-nvdimm?

If so, is this the result of the new CoC? Submitting low-quality patches again?
      I wonder, how long will we continue to see ridiculous anti-CoC comments from SIW (Social Injustice Warriors) on every news about the Linux kernel. This is becoming an obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
        I wonder, how long will we continue to see ridiculous anti-CoC comments from SIW (Social Injustice Warriors) on every news about the Linux kernel. This is becoming an obsession.
        At least as long as people respond with posts like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

Why are you posting nonsense like this?
          Does that mean no? I've deleted my post now.

I better not talk about this anymore...
          Last edited by tildearrow; 23 October 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Does that mean no? I've deleted my post now.

I better not talk about this anymore...
            umm, I saw nothing wrong with the (quoted part of the) question?

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

At least as long as people respond with posts like yours.
              So, as long as you do not get everyone to agree with you, you will annoy others with these posts? What a childish behavior. With this kind of community, Linux definitely needs a CoC (if the community only had sane adult people, CoC would be useless, since no one would even think about doing something that is violating it).

Comment

So, as long as you do not get everyone to agree with you, you will annoy others with these posts? What a childish behavior. With this kind of community, Linux definitely needs a CoC (if the community only had sane adult people, CoC would be useless, since no one would even think about doing something that is violating it).
                This has nothing to do with me, or agreeing with anything.

If you go around calling people childish things like "SIW (Social Injustice Warriors)" I have no doubt they will continue trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                  This has nothing to do with me, or agreeing with anything.

If you go around calling people childish things like "SIW (Social Injustice Warriors)" I have no doubt they will continue trolling you.
                  Well, you obviously know that I used the term "Social Injustice Warriors" by analogy with the term "Social Justice Warriors" they are using to qualify progressive activists. Yes, this kind of expression is childish, but the anti-CoC are the ones who used it originally (a proof that they are childish). I'm just trying to make them understand things by using an expression similar to their own.

Something I think I should say know, I am not always on the side of those modern leftists. In the Leah Rowe case, I was on the GNU side. Modern (I should say post-modern) leftists (I'm not talking about old-school leftists, or first-wave feminists) are often exaggerating, seeing discrimination where it is not or even supporting "inverted" discrimination (calling it politely "affirmative action" or, at least in some languages, "positive discrimination"), which I am strongly opposed to, since I consider discrimination has no inverse and will never be positive. But when I see things written opponents of those activists, it is clear that modern leftists are still "less bad" than their opponents.
                  Anti-SJW are just requesting the right to discriminate and insult people, using ridiculous arguments, most of which can be summarized by "If we can't use racist or homophobic insults to reject someones contribution, then, the code quality will be lower".

I only saw two interesting arguments from anti-CoC people.
                  First: can we ban someone that is making good code because of his behavior? I answer: Yes. Someone cited the example of Hans Reiser, well, sending it to jail may have (quasi-)killed Reiser4, but it was necessary. Being a good engineer does not allow you to do whatever you want. It worth noticing that discrimination based on ethnicity or sexual orientation as well as insulting people is punished by law in some countries.
                  Second: what if someone complains about discrimination when nothing actually happened? When, since we are talking about discussion on mailing list or other similar tools, they are clear evidences available, so this is not an issue. Proofs will be available to determine who is lying. Maybe the CoC should explicitly state that false accusations are forbidden (obvious), but that's all. I understand that this is an issue with some feminists, who are basically saying that we should believe rape accusations without proofs, but kernels maintainers are not like them, and those feminists will realize they are wrong quickly, some people have already returned the bullet of rape accusations against them.

If these had been the only anti-CoC arguments, then the discussion would have been sane, but we saw things like: "Linus is a son of commies" or "SJW will kill the kernel".

Comment

Wow. Someone on these boards actually has a reasonable opinion.

Bring on the knee-jerk reactions!

Comment

Working...
                    X