XArray Tries Once Again To Get Merged Into The Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

umm, I saw nothing wrong with the (quoted part of the) question?
    The answer is in the actual merge request. You can see the link to the xarray git repo, it's free software after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

The answer is in the actual merge request. You can see the link to the xarray git repo, it's free software after all.
      so, searching for nvdimm on http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...0.2/06430.html yields 0 results.

again, I do not see how this is a bad question to ask. Not everyone has the time, the skills or the need to go hunting through code to find the answer.

Personally I don't think that shooting people down for asking a question is the right way to go about things.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

I searched on the pull request message and the repo log before asking, but I didn't have time to search the whole repo, so I asked.

Comment

so, searching for nvdimm on http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...0.2/06430.html yields 0 results.

again, I do not see how this is a bad question to ask. Not everyone has the time, the skills or the need to go hunting through code to find the answer.

Personally I don't think that shooting people down for asking a question is the right way to go about things.
          I think, the problem was not the question about nvdimm but the insinuation that the CoC is to blame for bad code. It basically requires developers not to call each other names. It is sad enough this has to be fixed in writing. However, claiming that good code requires unprofessional behavior among developers is just.. well.. nuts..

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

I think, the problem was not the question about nvdimm but the insinuation that the CoC is to blame for bad code. It basically requires developers not to call each other names. It is sad enough this has to be fixed in writing. However, claiming that good code requires unprofessional behavior among developers is just.. well.. nuts..
            well, now I am just confused - I must be missing context - it seemed like quite an innocent question to me about the origins of a patch.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Linus isn't gonna merge bad code because of the CoC. He will just don't insult the people for writing bad code and reject the code regadless. Also Xarray is a bad example because it wasn't merged for like 2 kernel releases because the quality wasn't up to the standard of the linux kernel.

Comment

well, now I am just confused - I must be missing context - it seemed like quite an innocent question to me about the origins of a patch.
                Probably missed it because it is only visible in the quote. The original post was deleted. Here's the statement which sparked the discussion
                If so, is this the result of the new CoC? Submitting low-quality patches again?

Comment

Probably missed it because it is only visible in the quote. The original post was deleted. Here's the statement which sparked the discussion
                  aahh, then yes, that is the context I missed

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                    With this kind of community, Linux definitely needs a CoC (if the community only had sane adult people, CoC would be useless, since no one would even think about doing something that is violating it).
                    LOL, how disingenuous can you be? Would you say the same if the CoC said something you didn't like? What if the CoC said contributes were not allowed to engage in homosexual relationships, would you say that 'no sane person would even think about violating the CoC'?

Also you seam to be unaware that 'Social Justice' is what Hitler called his policies of asset confiscation and expulsion/extermination of people with 'guilty blood' (guilt inherited from crimes their ancestors committed), so the Allied troops who liberated Europe were the 'Social Injustice Warriors', and it is quite an honor to be likened to them, so thanks.

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                    Anti-SJW are just requesting the right to discriminate and insult people, using ridiculous arguments, most of which can be summarized by "If we can't use racist or homophobic insults to reject someones contribution, then, the code quality will be lower".
                    This is simply not true, show me where all the discrimination is on the LKML pre-CoC? It is the CoC that will enable bullying and discrimination. You are wondering why people don't like you and are hostile to you when you are the one accusing them of being bigots without them having done or said anything bigoted.
                    Last edited by Spazturtle; 24 October 2018, 06:25 AM.

Comment

The CoC give people submitting code a way to bully the maintainers into accepting their patches, they can just claim the maintainer is rejecting the patch because the maintainer is [whatever]phobic and they are [whatever]. It's impossible for people to defend themselves because they cannot prove what their true reasoning was as they cannot show what went on in their head.

If two different methods of doing something are submitted to the kernel then one of the submitter can accuse the other of being a bigot and CoC violator to try and make sure their own patch is the one that gets accepted.

This will make people more hesitant to submit patches to the kernel for fear of being attacked and accused of something which could cost them their job.
                      Last edited by Spazturtle; 24 October 2018, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X