Oracles Pushes VirtualBox 6.0 Into Public Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post

Those are ancient. But I bet KVM is still significantly faster than virtualbox.
    In CPU and I/O only?
    Or also in GPU rendering?

Comment

I would like to be able to pick a Linux distribution or operating system from a list, then the virtual machine downloads that image, instead of me having to download it via a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

In CPU and I/O only?
        Or also in GPU rendering?
        With KVM/QEMU you can have VirGL... or even GPU pass-through.

That's how I played D3D11 games before DXVK.

Comment

Is GNOME Boxes / QEMU as fast as VirtualBox?
          Virtualbox is often regarded as the slowest VM.

The only reason to consider Virtualbox is its ease of use. It's very fast and user friendly to get set up, but otherwise it's pretty terrible compared to the alternatives.
          Keep in mind that depending on what you do, a container like Docker or LXC might be a more appealing option.

Comment

Is GNOME Boxes / QEMU as fast as VirtualBox?
            Virtualbox is by far the slowest IMHO.

The only thing pro-Virtualbox is that it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I believe this is the first time ever I have seen a major release with only two listed features. And one of them is "improved" (whatever that means) GUI.
              The sadder part is I don't know of free alternatives to VirtualBox
              Wait, you're a Linux user and you've never heard of QEMU and GNOME Boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

Virtualbox is by far the slowest IMHO.

The only thing pro-Virtualbox is that it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux
                and is easy to use, no need of tech knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Those will replace VirtualBox only in some instances. VirtualBox is both cross-platform and open source.
                  QEMU is also both cross-platform and open source, so what are you talking about?

Comment

I would like to be able to pick a Linux distribution or operating system from a list, then the virtual machine downloads that image, instead of me having to download it via a web browser.
                    That's what GNOME Boxes is for.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

With KVM/QEMU you can have VirGL... or even GPU pass-through.

That's how I played D3D11 games before DXVK.
                      You cannot seriously compare the performances of KVM/QEMU with gpu-passthrough vs Virtualbox.
                      Gpu passthrough requires a vga just for the guest machine. It's a waste. And possibly a dedicated monitor (if you use some sort of vpn
                      to display the vm on the main monitor you'll loose in performance as I heard).

A fair comparison would be loading a vm with Windows as a guest, and then run some benchmark.

Comment

Working...
                      X