Real World Benchmarks Of The EXT4 File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jade View Post
    Why do you think Hans Reiser was so hated by some?

The stated reasons are total crap. What was the real reason?
    Maybe because he killed his wife?

Comment

you are either trying to joke and fail miserably or you are unable to use a calendar. Choose your poison.

Comment

Background filesystem checks

Originally posted by mctop View Post
        So, from time to time, the raid system will check (tunefs could avoid this, but for safety reasons we perform the complete disk check) the data. This needs hours where you just can wait and wait ....

So, if ext4 would reduce this checking time, i would immediatley change.
        lvcheck (http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux.../msg00088.html) allows background checks to be performed on ext3 volumes on an LVM system (using snapshots). If the checks reveal that the filesystem is healthy, its last check date is updated; this avoids unscheduled fscks on boot. This can be done say at night during weekends (depending on your backup schedule of course ). The script also works with XFS and JFS, but I haven't used it on these so I daren't comment on the specifics.

The only downside is that orphaned inodes are not cleared, so scheduled fscks are still useful from time to time.

Comment

Why you forgot JFS, its the fastet file System for Linux?

Comment

And load times in Games will be more interestant as the fps count.

Comment

it is only 'the fastest' when you forget to turn off barriers for xfs and reiserfs. jfs does not even support this critical feature.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                it is only 'the fastest' when you forget to turn off barriers for xfs and reiserfs. jfs does not even support this critical feature.
                I don't have in mind, that I ever needed this feature.

Comment

do your harddisk have an onboard cache? do you care about your data?
                  then you need barriers.
                  xfs and reiserfs care about data, so they turn it on by default
                  extX devs don't care about your data, so they turn it off by default (argued with '30% performance loss')
                  jfs doesn't have barrier support at all from all I could find.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    do your harddisk have an onboard cache? do you care about your data?
                    then you need barriers.
                    xfs and reiserfs care about data, so they turn it on by default
                    extX devs don't care about your data, so they turn it off by default
                    It's on by default here (ext4).

Comment

then they went away from stupid with ext4 - I applaud them for that decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X