Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19-rc7 Released: Final Kernel Likely In Two Weeks

Phoronix: Linux 4.19-rc7 Released: Final Kernel Likely In Two Weeks

Greg Kroah-Hartman continues managing the Linux 4.19 kernel cycle while Linus Torvalds remains off on his empathy retreat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I miss Linus

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Doesn't look like amdgpu bugs from rc6 were fixed. Not working tty is quite annoying one.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Doesn't look like amdgpu bugs from rc6 were fixed. Not working tty is quite annoying one.
          most of bugs only are fixed after the first point realease

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

most of bugs only are fixed after the first point realease
            OK, let's see if it will get fixed in point releases.

Comment

No issue here with Ubuntu mainline 4.19_rc6 and tty switching. I'm on Cosmic (18.10) right now. As a matter of fact there are only 3 amdgpu issues left on my hardware.

1. [drm] dce110_link_encoder_construct: Failed to get encoder_cap_info from VBIOS with error code 4!
              The above has been present in all the 4.19, 4.18 and the couple of 4.17's I've tested not present on the 4.15.33 default 18.04 lts kernel dreading going back into the 4.16 series to see when it started.

2. [ 3.428654] amdgpu: [powerplay] Failed to retrieve minimum clocks.
              [ 3.428655] amdgpu: [powerplay] Error in phm_get_clock_info
              Fix is available somewhere in the Mainline Drm-Tip kernel

3. [ 3042.547389] [drm:dc_link_detect [amdgpu]] *ERROR* No EDID read.
              Still happens coming out of S3 but no longer results in a black screen or 640x480 resolution.
              From the syslog during the wake up from S3
              Oct 7 16:24:35 Tardis-1 gnome-shell[17263]: Failed to set power save mode for output DP-1: Permission denied
              The above has to be related to #3 and a quick Google shows 5 earlier bug reports against gnome-shell on dvi hdmi and dp connections from 2015 2016 2017 and 2 in 2018

That said Overall a huge improvement over the earlier rc's feels almost as stable as 4.15.33 and MUCH better than the ghastly and insecure 4.18.0.8 kernel.
              I'd much rather disable secure boot and run 4.19.rc6 than have
              [ 20.886396] systemd[1]: File /lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service:37 configures an IP firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not support BPF/cgroup based firewalling.
              [ 20.886399] systemd[1]: Proceeding WITHOUT firewalling in effect! (This warning is only shown for the first loaded unit using IP firewalling.)

Last edited by DarkFoss; 07 October 2018, 05:59 PM. Reason: formatting
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                No issue here with Ubuntu mainline 4.19_rc6 and tty switching. I'm on Cosmic (18.10) right now. As a matter of fact there are only 3 amdgpu issues left on my hardware.
                Are you using Vega over DisplayPort?

Comment

I firmly believe that Microsoft outed Linus to delay the release of the 4.20 Linux kernel. For it has been prophesied that the 4.20 kernel will usher in the year of he Linux Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Are you using Vega over DisplayPort?
                    I am on DisplayPort but I have 2 Fury X's.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X