Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What systemd Is Up To With The Latest Developments In 2018

Phoronix: What systemd Is Up To With The Latest Developments In 2018

At the end of September in Berlin was the All Systems Go! conference focusing on user-space Linux and evolving from what years ago was the annual systemd conference. We've covered many of the interesting sessions from that conference while what we hadn't highlighted until now was Lennart Poettering's systemd update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meh...

Comment

seems like a pretty solid set of additions to systemd

Comment

1. Step one: create systemd
        2. Step two: crave in all key small sized tools
        3. ????
        4. PROFIT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          1. Step one: Open Phoronix article about systemd
          2. Step two: troll, troll, troll
          3. ????
          4. PROFIT!!!
          fixed.

Comment

I am normally biased towards systemd and always blindly defended it but this "boot counting" idea, while nice, is not really urgent at the moment. We need more resources and man-power placed into bug-fixing desktop applications, generally refining the desktop experience, profiling long term usage issues such as staying in the same Xsession (KDE, GNOME, etc...) for weeks, etc...
            I understand I am posting this in the wrong place but seriously...we have many talented developers not really placing their efforts where the Linux desktop can benefit from. Meanwhile, users choose to ignore desktop application bugs because "OMG! Linux is the best!".

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
              I am normally biased towards systemd and always blindly defended it but this "boot counting" idea, while nice, is not really urgent at the moment. We need more resources and man-power placed into bug-fixing desktop applications, generally refining the desktop experience, profiling long term usage issues such as staying in the same Xsession (KDE, GNOME, etc...) for weeks, etc...
              I understand I am posting this in the wrong place but seriously...we have many talented developers not really placing their efforts where the Linux desktop can benefit from. Meanwhile, users choose to ignore desktop application bugs because "OMG! Linux is the best!".
              "we need" like who? Because if people don't put the money where the mouth is, then you only get development on server and embedded features, because these actually pay the bill for the companies that sponsor them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                "we need" like who? Because if people don't put the money where the mouth is, then you only get development on server and embedded features, because these actually pay the bill for the companies that sponsor them.
                Yes, good point actually.

Comment

jesus, make pottering be not happy with the CoC and make him take systemd code back for himself and for his not_so_bright fan boys like pal666! Then they could even sell it to their buddies by NSA. I hope they don't mind dns leaking caused by systemd, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
                    jesus, make pottering be not happy with the CoC and make him take systemd code back for himself and for his not_so_bright fan boys like pal666! Then they could even sell it to their buddies by NSA. I hope they don't mind dns leaking caused by systemd, do they?
                    You can tell that even the trolls are getting tired of arguing over systemd when they can't even form coherent sentences.

Comment

Working...
                    X