Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git Users Should Get To Updating Due To An Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    uid313 so what new functionalities are present in newer versions BUT not available in 2.14 - that you need? Or it's just 'I want newer because it' "newer"'?
    I just want newer because newer. Hopefully it is better.
    I don't like using old stuff, it's not cool.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Well, Rust is more suited for some kinds of things.
      Yeah, like for example, nothing.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Yeah, like for example, nothing.
        Due to the strong typing of Rust it is suitable for security critical components.
        Also suitable for concurrency.
        Mozilla successfully employs Rust in their CSS engine.

        I don't get the point of denying that some languages are more suitable for certain things than other languages.
        A language with a robust type system does have it advantages.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          uid313 so what new functionalities are present in newer versions BUT not available in 2.14 - that you need? Or it's just 'I want newer because it' "newer"'?
          Are you seriously implying that Git hasn't introduced new features in recent releases?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            uid313 so what new functionalities are present in newer versions BUT not available in 2.14 - that you need? Or it's just 'I want newer because it' "newer"'?
            Git improves at a dramatic rate. Much of the focus lately has been rewriting various parts in C instead of bash which gives a good performance boost (more so on Windows, but it'a a benefit on all OSes).

            I'm very happy with git's rate of improvement and hate being stuck on old versions. I love `git checkout -B` for example (not sure when that was added mind you) and I dislike using git without it.

            If you want to see what you'd miss by not using the latest then you should study the release notes and decide for yourself whether it's important.

            https://github.com/git/git/blob/mast...tes/2.15.0.txt
            https://github.com/git/git/blob/mast...tes/2.16.0.txt
            https://github.com/git/git/blob/mast...tes/2.17.0.txt
            https://github.com/git/git/blob/mast...tes/2.18.0.txt

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
              As if a different language would have prevented the issue.
              that's a spoiler!

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Due to the strong typing of Rust it is suitable for security critical components.
                does it mean mozilla somehow failed to use strong typing of c++?
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Also suitable for concurrency.
                Mozilla successfully employs Rust in their CSS engine.
                all browsers have css engines and only slowest one successfully employs rust

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  does it mean mozilla somehow failed to use strong typing of c++?

                  all browsers have css engines and only slowest one successfully employs rust
                  Rust does have a stronger typing system than C++.
                  No, Mozilla successfully employed C++ to make a CSS engine, however they later rewrote it in Rust and now it is better than ever.
                  Their Rust-based CSS engine is much faster than their old C++-based CSS engine.

                  All browsers are quite fast nowadays. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge are all great browsers.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Rust does have a stronger typing system than C++.
                    it doesn't
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    No, Mozilla successfully employed C++ to make a CSS engine, however they later rewrote it in Rust and now it is better than ever.
                    need of rewrite suggests failure at first step
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    All browsers are quite fast nowadays. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge are all great browsers.
                    wait, all browsers are rewriting css engine in rust? and no, firefox is still slowest. just open more tabs

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      [QUOTE=pal666;n1053182]it doesn't[quote]
                      As I understand Rust handles null values better than C++.
                      In C++ any type can be null. I think Rust is like TypeScript and Kotlin, where a type cannot be null unless explicitly declared so.

                      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      need of rewrite suggests failure at first step
                      Their old CSS engine served them well for many years.
                      But the web have changed, so the technology that powers it needs to change too.
                      Before the web was more about repainting areas marked as dirty, now new technology is moving to constantly re-render everything like a modern game engine.
                      Before the web was rendered on the CPU, now more and more moves to the GPU.
                      Before the web was rendered on one core, now its more multi-core.

                      Just because it was rewritten doesn't mean it was bad.

                      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      wait, all browsers are rewriting css engine in rust? and no, firefox is still slowest. just open more tabs
                      No, but someone has to take the lead. Maybe they will, or maybe in another Rust-like language.
                      Firefox isn't slow, its rather fast. All browsers are fast. You can't really call any browser slow, all of them are fast.
                      I run Firefox with over a hundred tabs open, its still very fast.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X