Linux Is Getting New Network Libraries From Veteran systemd/BUS1 Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Is Getting New Network Libraries From Veteran systemd/BUS1 Developers

Phoronix: Linux Is Getting New Network Libraries From Veteran systemd/BUS1 Developers

Veteran systemd and BUS1 developers are David Herrmann and Tom Gundersen have been working on "nettools" as a new network configuration libraries project for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Recordings are here:

Comment

Originally posted by ptrwis View Post
      Right for livestreams but are past recordings working? I had tried earlier presentations to watch and it still only ever seems to jump to the livestream.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If they're planning on making it universal will they still create a dependency on systemd? If so it wont be universal. There will always be GNU/Linux distros that do not adopt systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Right for livestreams but are past recordings working? I had tried earlier presentations to watch and it still only ever seems to jump to the livestream.
          nettools talk
          nettools is a yet-to-be-released project providing low-level libraries for network configuration. Within the scope of the project falls p...

all recordings: https://media.ccc.de/b/asg2018

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            If they're planning on making it universal will they still create a dependency on systemd? If so it wont be universal. There will always be GNU/Linux distros that do not adopt systemd.
            The slide where this comes from mentions this: https://github.com/nettools/n-ipv4ll
            Code:
            REQUIREMENTS: 
                     The requirements for n-ipv4ll are:

Linux kernel >= 3.19
                         libc (e.g., glibc >= 2.16)

At build-time, the following software is required:

meson >= 0.41
                         pkg-config >= 0.29

Comment

The project has nothing to do with systemd. And as droste mentioned, it has no dependency on systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdhrm View Post

The project has nothing to do with systemd. And as droste mentioned, it has no dependency on systemd.
                "will they"?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

The slide where this comes from mentions this: https://github.com/nettools/n-ipv4ll
                  Code:
                  REQUIREMENTS:
                  The requirements for n-ipv4ll are:

Linux kernel >= 3.19
                  libc (e.g., glibc >= 2.16)

At build-time, the following software is required:

meson >= 0.41
                  pkg-config >= 0.29
                  I found that already. I asked "will they still create a dependency on systemd?"

Keeping systemd optional is becoming problematic. I keep seeing projects that deliberately or accidently become dependent on systemd and then later an effort is made to decouple it (Gnome & Flatpak are two that come to mind). As they are systemd developers, I am concerned they will make a nice tool, it will become popular and then it will end up depending on systemd making it even harder for distros to use alternative service managers / init systems and alternatives to all the other systemd daemons.

I don't mind systemd so long as it remains a choice.

Comment

"will they"?
                    No. We will not.

Comment

Working...
                    X