The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sverris View Post
    A Code of Conduct is about conduct. And the intended conduct is also intended to help the primary objective. And it is common sense that the primary technical objective is good code.
    I've seen the libreboot project having a crisis which was because of one maintainer wanting to fight for social justice.
    I'm fine with someone wanting to take a stance for something they feel is important and doing something about it, but if doing something means stagnating development of the actual software we are certain that the quality of the code is not the primary objective anymore.
    They should take that fight professionally on an individual level to avoid damaging their brand, development and most importantly their code.

With this new Code of Conduct these priorities are not stated and I just gave you an example of that these priorities are not always "common sense".

Comment

• Man have people started talking past each other in this thread... On one side you've got people ranting over CoCs and how illiberal politics of the people who push for them are and on the other you've got people calling the first group nazis and white supremacists. I'm honestly starting to question if it's about time to lock this thread because there isn't really anything that could be described as a conversation going on, just a bunch of ranting, name calling and self-aggrandizing.

I don't think there really was a reason to get this upset for either side, if what I've read is all there is to this particular CoCs it's one of the few sane ones out there and those have existed for years already, albeit as a minority of CoCs. If I've understood the new Linux CoC correctly it basically gives something both to the people who don't like CoCs and those that do. Just like it bans personal insults and other behavior that doesn't belong in the context of a working environment, it also bans people trying to deflect legitimate criticism with something along the lines of "Oh you're just saying that because I'm not a white male" and forces people to have to accept constructive criticism regardless of who it's from and who it's directed at.

Another example of my interpretation is that it also bans the all too typical refusal to work with people and demanding them to be kicked off the project for their views expressed outside of the the project. In other words being a legitimate Trump supporter or something seen as similarly negative by a lot of people is actually protected as long as you keep it off the project mailing lists and repos, where it and other unrelated politics doesn't belong anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by jukk View Post
        And this is a threat to you, how?

I'm really interested what parts of above are threatening and in which way. And in which way is any of this bad or negative and to whom. I truly don't see it.
        I'm not the original poster, but you seriously have issues with your inability to put yourself in others shoes.

So I'm going to spell some of it out for you

Originally posted by jukk View Post
        who believes the race and sexual orientation of the contributor is more important the the technical merits of their contribution.
        This is bad because this puts sex over actual technical merit, which is ironically sexist.

She is the same person who even Github fired after creating at least a dozen Github shitstorms trying to purge ideological dissidents.

Here you can see one of xir (she actually prefers the pronoun Xir instead of her) twitter meltdowns:
        Here's just some random stuff that makes her seem crazy.
        A few twitter meltdows is fine and everybody makes mistakes every once in a while, but to me this list seems a bit to long to fall under "once in a while".

Another signer of the Covenant Code of Conduct is Patricia Torvalds, Linus Torvalds daughter, who runs the Portland branch of "Guerilla Feminism", and affirms the need for "safe spaces" in the Open Source community.
        I have never heard about "Guerilla Feminism", but the word Guerilla makes it sound as if they are fighting with physical force. A responsible activist group would choose a name which would indicate that they are fighting with the forces of love, inclusion and equality. Shoving politics down peoples throats is not an effective way to convince people to support feminism but will only make people hate it even more.

This is straight up bullying and sounds like she is power hungry.

In my opinion, she is the one who needs to learn how to be nice if anyone.

Comment

The conclusion I draw from this rambling, is that you probably hate women.
          That's a wrong conclusion because according to your postings you seem not to think straight.

We can't live in the same world.
          Indeed; you seem to live in a fantasy world where there are allegedly "57 genders" (as johnc put it very funnily), a fake world which clashes with reality, whilst I live in the real world where 1 and 1 is 2 but not 57. We'll see which world lasts. No need to continue our discussion until then.

"Everyone I Don't Like is Figuratively Hitler" by Rusty CageDOWNLOAD THIS SONG â–º http://bit.ly/2sBHHmVSUPPORT MY PATREON â–º https://www.patreon.com/RustyCage...
          Last edited by Hadrian; 20 September 2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by triangle View Post

If Guest is a troll, we are just feeding them. However, are they a nazi? If they are and we shut them down by any means necessary , we will have silinsed one known nazi. If we present an argument against nazism and be done with it. If anything it will help build up immunity against nazism (you also know where they are and can keep track of them).
            I'm just telling the truth which idiots like you aren't aware of. You're just a victim of jewish propaganda. Ask US government why they didn't accept jewish refuges and sent them back to Europe during WW2. Also ask them why they ignored Pilecki's report about situation in Auschwitz. Did you know jews from Hollywood wanted to make a movie about Pilecki, but under condition his family will agree he will be presented as jew. They didn't agree, because he was Pole murdered by jews. You didn't know this, did you? I probably demand too much from some common stupidity victim. Something easier: ever heard about USS Liberty? Ps. If you want to track some nazis I recommend trip to Argentina, Israel or USA. They welcomed a lot of nazis who fled from Germany.

I don't like having to defend them, as long as they don't start attacking individual Jews they can mostly be ignored.
            Are you a jewish racist? What if they start attacking non-jewish individuals? It will be alright? It's alright when jewish scums murder Palestinian children? Are jewish nazis ok for you?

Ps. Moronix, please don't delete post which share the truth about jews. If you can't stand the truth it's your problem. Censorship isn't good practice in the end. You're doing exactly what code of bullshit will do to Linux kernel mailing lists.

Comment

The conclusion I draw from this rambling, is that you probably hate women. Terrorised? Paraziting? SJW madness? What are you talking about? We can't live in the same world. You must be living in some fantasy. If you are truly this delusional, and if there are more people like you, then I really see the need for those "feminist forces" that you are imagining.
              Do you claim there are no feminists? Who's delusional now? Some people should have pass some reality tests before going outside their fantasy world.

Comment

• and thereby acknowledged SJW ideological supremacy.
                THIS is the whole thing ^

Comment

• Originally posted by msotirov View Post

EDIT: seriously though, what's up with all the alt-right comments in a Linux forum? Have I woken up in some weird parallel dimension this morning?
                  "Everyone I don't like is an alt-right Nazi shitlord"...

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    If you write code and you're good at it, these people are a direct threat to your status, your hobby, and your livelihood, because if these people get their way, your technical excellence becomes secondary to their wokeness.
                    That's literally not the case. I don't see how "these people are a direct threat to your status" unless you're a terrible human being, insulting and discriminating people in your FOSS project's forum or issue tracker or whatever.

Just read the God damn CoC. Let me help you, here is a link to it. It's not very long and the rules are relatively self explanatory, nothing crazy. Basically things that any decent human being already does anyway.

No, the world won't end tomorrow, and if by any chance some of the more toxic assholes in the Linux community move away, that's a major win.
                    Last edited by Guest; 18 September 2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                      That's literally not the case. I don't see how "these people are a direct threat to your status" unless you're a terrible human being, insulting and discriminating people in your FOSS project's forum or issue tracker or whatever.
                      Just read the God damn CoC. Let me help you, here is a link to it. It's not very long and the rules are relatively self explanatory, nothing crazy. Basically things that any decent human being already does anyway.
                      If you can't immediately spot multiple instances of vague and unbounded discretionary powers granted in the CoC, I would recommend you never sign a legal document without your lawyer present. If you're still having issues spotting anything, consider the Scope section, which concludes:
                      Representation of a project may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers.
                      This is a blanket grant of authority for maintainers to police any part of someone's public life they choose, which fits nicely with their prior open-ended directive
                      to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
                      I also think you are likely rather historically ignorant if you don't notice patterns of censors immediately classifying criticism of the censorship itself as "harmful" speech.

A morally decent code of conduct can be a good thing, but the Contributer Covenant is absolute garbage in the brazen expansiveness of its formulation.

Comment

Working...
                      X