The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jukk View Post
    So how can anyone justify going back to the 1940's ideas?
    You are lionizing people who believed the very things that, if people believed them today, you would call "literally Hitler". Well if it's some huge moral crime to believe in 2 genders and you think such people are scum, I don't think you get to take 1940s Allied soldiers as being on "your side" in the argument.

And if you're arguing that they just believed the presiding dogma of the day and didn't think for themselves, what would that say about those who accept all the canonical views about 85 trillion genders today? Are they not thinking for themselves? Maybe it's the people who are shunned today for having alternative views that are the real thinkers? And everyone else is a conformist? Or are people not allowed to have ideas outside the mainstream, where the mainstream dogma is defined by the bankers, the corporations, the big-six media and entertainment companies?

Comment

• Originally posted by gururise View Post
      Just waiting for them to remove Master/Slave terminology like Python did because some people found it offensive... haha
      Some Modbus documentation switched to client/server or other terminology like... a decade ago, I wanna say?

The world hasn't ended and Modbus still runs entire refineries, so I guess the terminology change didn't destroy code quality.

Comment

• make linux great again

Comment

• Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Some Modbus documentation switched to client/server or other terminology like... a decade ago, I wanna say?

The world hasn't ended and Modbus still runs entire refineries, so I guess the terminology change didn't destroy code quality.
          While you make a good point there is a technical difference between a master/slave system and a client/server one. Know far to little about Modbus to know if the hierarchy is one or the other, or it it's a mixed set, to say anything intelligent there.

+1M funny however on all the posters here that think that Torvalds have been forced by anyone to do this, they clearly don't know the man at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by cynical View Post
            None of these developments have anything to do with people on mailing lists behaving badly. It's all about control, useless people feeling empowered, and relief for people who feel guilty for being born.
            and before you know it people will be calling for Linus to resign because of the repressed memory of someone who believes that one time as a teenager maybe he got drunk and might have done done something regrettable with someone else who was along for the ride, until they weren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

While you make a good point there is a technical difference between a master/slave system and a client/server one. Know far to little about Modbus to know if the hierarchy is one or the other, or it it's a mixed set, to say anything intelligent there.

+1M funny however on all the posters here that think that Torvalds have been forced by anyone to do this, they clearly don't know the man at all.
              In the case of Modbus, it's not quite right, but Modbus is a simple enough system that it completely doesn't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by OlgierdAlorus
                "I can't wait for the mass exodus from Linux now that it's been infiltrated by SJWs. Hahahahah" Coraline Ada Ehmke

This is by the person who wrote the code of conduct that Linux adopted.
                Good. If you can't deal with people with weird hair colors writing your software, you probably have serious issues, and you should probably voluntarily recuse yourself from computer use until you fix your shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by eltomito View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, who exactly made Linus do this? I mean what concrete people or organizations. Don't answer things like "the SJWs" or "the evildoers".
                  That is a very good question. This didn't just come out of nowhere.

Comment

• I'm a commie pinko and I think this is bullshit. It would have been a totally different thing if Linus and his droogs were talking about punching women or lashed out at people without reason, but I can't really come up with an example of this. There's a difference between being a dick and an asshole. Linus will curse you out if you write bad code or break user space or whatever, not if you sexually identify as a long boolean. They can as well add a line in the rule of conduct about not killing people. No, none of the Linux kernel developers have ever killed someone, but it's a bad thing to do so they should bake a point of it. Utter bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Sorry, I don't think I get your response, with this last paragraph. That's the only subject I touched on in my post, so by stating this last paragraph I fail to see (well, actually I did fail to see before this paragraph as well) how the preceding content relates to that.

Ps.: Not being aggressive, I really didn't get it.
                      What I was saying was that trustablity of an author (e.g. connections to an adversary of the project author or the reader) is a valid consideration in the degree of review required by a code contribution, but that personal physical characteristics are not a consideration in the degree of review required by a code contribution. This referred to code commits, which in all cases must be reviewed for proper function, tabs vs spaces, memory management etc and if the author is suspected of having potential adverse motives must also be checked for underhanded coding.

Putting a team together for a project is another matter: in that case all members of the team must be able to get along with all other members of the team. When this is impossible yet someone has a need to work on a project (say, to add a feature or fix an ignored/WONTFIX bug), the project can be forked, and in that case each team must internally be able to function.

A German team of Nazis built V-2 rockets, a Russian team of Stalinists could not doubt have done the same given the same starting data and materials. A team of half Nazis and half Stalinists probably would not have been able to get even a fireworks rocket off the ground as part of WWII would have raged inside the team. On the other hand, a mixed German-Russian team could have done it, so long as none of the Germans were Nazis personally, none of the Russians were Stalinists personally, none of the rockets would be used to attack either country and the team was not under the domination of either country. The reason both Nazis and Stalinists would have to be refused in that combined team is not because they can't build rockets, but because they would tear the team apart and that would shut down the project, especially if both were present at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X