No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Told ya!

How many years have people been warning you Linux fanboys that the SJW hatemobs were coming for them.

Oh how you mocked and raged about how that day would never come. Your God Emperor Linus would always be there to protect Linux.

And there it is. In a single day Linus turned the entire Linux project over to the SJW hatemobs.

Welcome to lunatic SJWs combing through every single bit of your online presence looking for wrong think to attack and try to kick you from the project thanks to the garbage, toxic SJW Code of Conduct. Good bye Meritocracy, welcome to talentless Woke SJWs running your beloved project.

The SJW hatemobs are laughing their asses off at you clowns all over the Net.

Comment

I still try to understand how someone can think saying "hey, don't treat people badly by what they are rather than what they're doing" is an exaggeration from the "inclusion" party.

Seriously, what kind of activity and code review would make it necessary to talk about someone's weight, gender, etc.?

"Hey, your code is ok but it's being taken down because you're fat".

"Cool code, but go make me a sandwich, woman".

"Your code is just so g*y".

This type of stupidity is what theyret targeting.

I don't even know how any of that would even be relevant to reviewing code, so...

If you can think of any situation, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
        I have mixed feelings about this. I am all for politeness and etiquette. What is concerning is the manner in which we create a etiquette police who themselves act rude and violent while they pretend to be opposing the same. That is you create enforcers who have the power to shut down people who say bad words they do not like. That sounds more abusive than really than the people just using a few bad words. I am not for using bad words, I am just making a point. Also, its important to point out the difference between speech and actions. Free speech used to be about you could say what you want save making slander, not this idea that you can suppress people who have said things you do not like with actions. Linus has made remarks about contributions such as "this is garbage, you can do better". These are words and a request. It is not a threat of being excluded from making further contributions, it is not this person being excluded from participating in the kernel again. On the other hand, the enforcers of the code of conduct, can prevent people from participating and can make actual threats of exclusion . They all claim to be "inclusive" but are all about excluding people according to their increasingly draconian rules. Its a slippery slope we are on here to a authoritarian sort of environment.

I cannot see Linus doing this of his own volition and it looks like he being pressured by someone to cave in.

There are other practical considerations such as if we can no longer tell people that code they have submitted really is not well written and not of good enough quality for the kernel , the quality of the kernel will suffer. Will we now have to accept really poorly written patches to not hurt anyones feelings?
        Pretty much how I see it. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few months we hear he is stepping down from kernel development. I also think this is all part of a much bigger push to commercialize and make Linux mainstream. Think about it. People want to "sanitize" the whole ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
          You can keep a project on track without being an asshole.
          Of course, now you can be holeass You can be communistic capitalist or capitalistic communist... you can have a penis and to be a woman and the opposite... any lie could be truth and opposite also, godless believer, etc...

Project will continue anyway, but won't be the same project anymore
          Last edited by dungeon; 16 September 2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

you didn't get the point. The point is: it doesn't matter, doesn't matter what persons think of themselves, who or what they are, as long as they are behaving well and make a useful contribution, it shall be accepted.

But you make a deal out of it for no reason at all. Nothing changes in your life. It has 0 consequences for you, but you still think it is a threat? How so? What is your actual fear here? What about "we don't give a damn who somebody is" is a problem for you?
            the big problem is that it gives a few so much power to abuse. Thats what we need to remember is that power corrupts so when you give people power, it gets abused.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Are you calling Linus an asshole? No one mentioned being an asshole.

I just appreciate his standards and low tolerance for stupidity, lets not pretend most of his 'rants' weren't well deserved.

EDIT- And Linux is hugely successful, maybe we actually need more "assholes"?
              This is first step, they're trying to get rid of Linus. He has a long history of clashes with political correctness. Let's be honest here, people expect all high profile projects to be inclusive these days. Linux is dominated by white heterosexual carnivore males. The project has become successful in so many levels that by now, the leader should identify him/her/um..-self as a dark green pansexual vegan attack helicopter. Next step, the subsystem maintainers could as well be coding illiterate as long as they represent some minority. Why wouldn't they be?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael

I'm not surprised, Linus always been a lefty, his parents are commies.

Commies were not all about tolerance. Thats a dangerous delusion. The Stasi was not known for this, in fact its a lot like these PC police are acting to give themselves all of this power to censor. Commies didnt tolerate any dissent against communism. Only someone educated in what now passes for an American major institution of miseducation would think communists have a history of compassion, tolerance or whatever. A big problem is the power being abused, no matter how well the code is written.

I am not for insulting speech. But I am afraid it will go beyond what a reasonable person would think that would be in regards to, say, gender. It could be about the things Linus did which was not such, so that Linus is now being forced to take a time-out shows that this is not just about those kinds of remarks. One of the practical problems is some programmers who produce some of the best code sometimes lack all of the fine social skills, so it could damage the project if we are going to end up losing many of them.
                Last edited by jpg44; 16 September 2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  This is first step, they're trying to get rid of Linus. He has a long history of clashes with political correctness. Let's be honest here, people expect all high profile projects to be inclusive these days. Linux is dominated by white heterosexual carnivore males. The project has become successful in so many levels that by now, the leader should identify him/her/um..-self as a dark green pansexual vegan attack helicopter. Next step, the subsystem maintainers could as well be coding illiterate as long as they represent some minority. Why wouldn't they be?
                  Not bad. 7/10. Big points for going with the tried and true attack helicopter meme as well as a thinly-veiled reference to Outreachy.
                  But you forgot to work in the terms: SJW, special snowflake, and woke.
                  Keep working on it and you can perfect your paranoia. No, this isn't an attack! I'm being excellent to you!

Comment

I see a lot of people who as far as I can tell haven't written a single damn line of code for an open source project (let alone Linux) bitching about decisions about how that community should operate.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                      Oh boy, here come the SJWs to suck the fun out of life again.
                      Nothing wrong with social justice(the SJ in SJW), and sometimes you have to warrior up (the W is SJW) to get it. At least you did not have to risk your freedom and continued existance burning a grand jury subpeona in front of the courthouse as the only valid alternative to snitching on those you care about the most, as I had to do last week. This wasn't Call of Duty, this was real-world.

We "social justice warriors" are the shield behind which your freedom can fucking EXIST. If it was not for us, the workday would be 7 days a week for everyone, 12 hours a day. You would have no time for anything else in life and would live in a temement with one bathroom down the hall. Maybe your factory would lock you in at night, like some bonded labor sweatshops globally do. All the major nation-states would still practice CONSCRIPTION, and having this ability would fight even more wars of aggression to keep and hold colonies. The status of women would resemble "the Handmaid's Tale" as one protest againt Kavanaugh's nomination so poingnantly showed with costumes from the movie. Do you really want to live like that?

A warrior gives of themselves so others may life in peace and safety, and that's EXACTLY what we do when we take serious risks of death or decades in prison to shut down grand jury witch-hunts, stop eminent domain pipelines, ensure gender equality, or anything else that is about protecting other people, We stand between your precious self-centered lifestyle and the worst life you could ever imagine. Every time you enjoy a simple pleasure of life that some suit-and-tie fat cat or theocrat would really rather take away, thank your local SJW.

Comment

Working...
                      X