Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L_A_G
    replied
    Man have people started talking past each other in this thread... On one side you've got people ranting over CoCs and how illiberal politics of the people who push for them are and on the other you've got people calling the first group nazis and white supremacists. I'm honestly starting to question if it's about time to lock this thread because there isn't really anything that could be described as a conversation going on, just a bunch of ranting, name calling and self-aggrandizing.

I don't think there really was a reason to get this upset for either side, if what I've read is all there is to this particular CoCs it's one of the few sane ones out there and those have existed for years already, albeit as a minority of CoCs. If I've understood the new Linux CoC correctly it basically gives something both to the people who don't like CoCs and those that do. Just like it bans personal insults and other behavior that doesn't belong in the context of a working environment, it also bans people trying to deflect legitimate criticism with something along the lines of "Oh you're just saying that because I'm not a white male" and forces people to have to accept constructive criticism regardless of who it's from and who it's directed at.

Another example of my interpretation is that it also bans the all too typical refusal to work with people and demanding them to be kicked off the project for their views expressed outside of the the project. In other words being a legitimate Trump supporter or something seen as similarly negative by a lot of people is actually protected as long as you keep it off the project mailing lists and repos, where it and other unrelated politics doesn't belong anyway.

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by sverris View Post
    A Code of Conduct is about conduct. And the intended conduct is also intended to help the primary objective. And it is common sense that the primary technical objective is good code.
    I've seen the libreboot project having a crisis which was because of one maintainer wanting to fight for social justice.
    I'm fine with someone wanting to take a stance for something they feel is important and doing something about it, but if doing something means stagnating development of the actual software we are certain that the quality of the code is not the primary objective anymore.
    They should take that fight professionally on an individual level to avoid damaging their brand, development and most importantly their code.

With this new Code of Conduct these priorities are not stated and I just gave you an example of that these priorities are not always "common sense".

Leave a comment:

• jukk
    replied
    The CoC looks even more necessary in light of the above article. If there are people that are so upset about "common sense" (that he himself writes), then there truly must be something really necessary in the CoC. I welcome it.

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
    Related:

ESR in 2015: Why Hackers Must Eject the SJWs
    ESR is no good reference when it comes to social behavior. That is just embarrassing, especially for the Asperger community.
    Last edited by jukk; 18 September 2018, 03:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jukk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadrian View Post

Thanks for these important insights, Gururise.
    It's much worse than many thought in the first instance. Many of the linked tweets of "Coraline Ada Ehmke" show evil forces at work.

And Torvald's feminist daughter is involved. So this is the missing link which explains why her father folded. Some asked here who brought down Linus. Now we know.

Countless men who only want to work and be productive, being terrorised by a few parasitizing wicked gender feminists including our daughters. Why have we men allowed to become pussies? Let's grow a pair of balls and fight until the end. After all, fighting is naturally in us men.

Can this Linux "SJW" madness be stopped or rolled back? Or is it too late and it takes a Linux fork now? Or a third world war. Which of course also ended the gender feminism terror. ;-) Thrilling times we live in for sure.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militiae caelestis, Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute, in infernum detrude. Amen.
    The conclusion I draw from this rambling, is that you probably hate women. Terrorised? Paraziting? SJW madness? What are you talking about? We can't live in the same world. You must be living in some fantasy. If you are truly this delusional, and if there are more people like you, then I really see the need for those "feminist forces" that you are imagining.

Leave a comment:

• jukk
    replied
    Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

Just answer me one simple question: If these "social values" are so universally common sense, why do they have to be written into code of conducts? Can't they just be followed *without* having them written down? And if they're so universal, why does linux need "it's own" code of conduct?

It's the same sort of fallacy as security by obscurity.

These very code of conducts *will* be misused to bring the community down.
    Apparently there is a minority that cannot behave that forces the rest of us to create codes of conduct. These same people seems to be the ones offended by it.

And I can't for my life see how they could be misused more than what is going on today that they are trying to prevent. Maybe a small minority of people that are incapable of behaving socially *could* be targeted. But if they are truly unable to behave (e.g. have a disorder or something), I'm sure an exception can be made and they could get help or something. Not everyone is as rational as Linus and can admit their incapability or mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• jukk
    replied
    Originally posted by gururise View Post
    Everybody needs to understand who is behind this code of conduct.

This "Covenant Code of Conduct" was written by a radical feminist transgender activist known as Coraline Ada Ehmke, the author of the "Post-Meritocracy Manifesto", who believes the race and sexual orientation of the contributor is more important the the technical merits of their contribution.

Part of the new CoC reads:

The problem is anything can be construed to be offensive or inappropriate. Using the wrong Gender Pronoun is grounds for removal. Furthermore, everything is done in secret and is rife for abuse.

She is the same person who even Github fired after creating at least a dozen Github shitstorms trying to purge ideological dissidents. Here you can see one of xir (she actually prefers the pronoun Xir instead of her) twitter meltdowns:
    https://i.imgur.com/aksUZ7Z.png

Another signer of the Covenant Code of Conduct is Patricia Torvalds, Linus Torvalds daughter, who runs the Portland branch of "Guerilla Feminism", and affirms the need for "safe spaces" in the Open Source community.

Right after Linux adopted the new CoC, Coraline Ada Ehmke @CorlineAda tweets:

https://mobile.twitter.com/coralineada/status/1041441155874009093

I guess this is her idea of fostering a "Welcoming and Inclusive" environment as specified in the CoC...

After all these years, it's finally happening... Linux Kernel development is being invaded by political activists!

And this is a threat to you, how?

I'm really interested what parts of above are threatening and in which way. And in which way is any of this bad or negative and to whom. I truly don't see it.
    Last edited by jukk; 18 September 2018, 03:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    It's just a matter of time before the plague of political correctness will contaminate the whole opensource ecosystem. Not only Linux kernel or Python. As you know already:
    We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile

Leave a comment:

• halo9en
    replied
    Related:

Deconstructing Coraline Ada Ehmke’s “Contributor Covenant”

ESR in 2015: Why Hackers Must Eject the SJWs

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian
    replied
    Originally posted by gururise View Post
    Everybody needs to understand who is behind this code of conduct.
    [..]
    After all these years, it's finally happening... Linux Kernel development is being invaded by political activists!
    Thanks for these important insights, Gururise.
    It's much worse than many thought in the first instance. Many of the linked tweets of "Coraline Ada Ehmke" show evil forces at work.

And Torvald's feminist daughter is involved. So this is the missing link which explains why her father folded. Some asked here who brought down Linus. Now we know.

Countless men who only want to work and be productive, being terrorised by a few parasitizing wicked gender feminists including our daughters. Why have we men allowed to become pussies? Let's grow a pair of balls and fight until the end. After all, fighting is naturally in us men.

Can this Linux "SJW" madness be stopped or rolled back? Or is it too late and it takes a Linux fork now? Or a third world war. Which of course also ended the gender feminism terror. ;-) Thrilling times we live in for sure.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militiae caelestis, Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute, in infernum detrude. Amen.
    Last edited by Hadrian; 23 September 2018, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lowflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by jukk View Post
    I have a hard time understanding opinions like these. The "social" values are actually common sense and behavior that any big company also has. It is very true in the company where I work (big multinational industry).
    Just answer me one simple question: If these "social values" are so universally common sense, why do they have to be written into code of conducts? Can't they just be followed *without* having them written down? And if they're so universal, why does linux need "it's own" code of conduct?

It's the same sort of fallacy as security by obscurity.

These very code of conducts *will* be misused to bring the community down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X