The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The "Be excellent to each other" was even shorter and more concrete (at least to me...)...
    ofc, also this " As a reviewer of code, please strive to keep things civil and focused on the technical issues involved.", very precise and to the point and the spirit of the whole thing. You can/should attack ideas you think are wrong, just not people. People have to be able to separate these two. Is anyone surprised that they included 'Using welcoming and inclusive language' instead?

Comment

I hear some whining already without any evidence. This is a very good decision for the long term of kernel and open source. Sets a very good example for open source communities who want to be inclusive. Here's the original CoC: https://www.contributor-covenant.org...ode-of-conduct

Comment

Thank goodness.

I hope it actually trickles down to some of the abusive developers. I had to file an incomplete kernel bug yesterday and had to preface it with a plea for the devs not to insult me. I'm not kidding. That's what happens when you have an abusive person like Linus Torvalds running anything.

And brilliance is no excuse for being vile.

In fact it should be a reason to be more civil.
        Last edited by muncrief; 16 September 2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

How "inclusive" of them. Holy crap, it's begun. Not even Linux is safe.

Comment

Low IQ SJW's are ruining everything. I'm surprised Linus is letting this happen...

Comment

To me this just seems more like damage control rather than an attempt to improve dev to dev interaction in the linux community , what do

"+size , ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and

+expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality,

+personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation" have to do with insulting people who are perceived to not be competent ?
              Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 16 September 2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael

I'm not surprised, Linus always been a lefty, his parents are commies.
                Not all lefties are SJWs. Linus is a smart and capable man, well versed in what he does. He seems passionate about his work (as in do shit correctly and I won't stand for incompetence), but I have yet to see him get overly political over anything really.
                I'm not Linus and I don't claim to know what he thinks about this. Probably does not care, as long as things get done in a proper fashion. However, once crap heats up due to this new code of conduct we can expect to see sparks fly. That is, unless his recent "break" is not covering something more sinister.

Comment

Apparently Linus has "apologized" today for his "mistakes" stewarding the Linux kernel... Hmm.

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me. I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.
                  Sadly, my first thought is "what dirt do they have on Linus"

Comment

Something that I really like about Linux is the one leader that has high standards. It puts forward a consistent vision and a strong foundation can be build on. It also avoids useless political debates by having a clear hierarchy.

I hope everything remains stable.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                      Something that I really like about Linux is the one leader that has high standards. It puts forward a consistent vision and a strong foundation can be build on. It also avoids useless political debates by having a clear hierarchy.

I hope everything remains stable.
                      Very well put, I have always believe Linus' 'strongman' approach was exactly what was needed to keep the project on track.

Comment

Working...
                      X