WireGuard Takes Another Step Towards The Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    I have been considering off and on a VPN for the sake of an added layer of protection besides java script blocking. Aside from using something like OpenDNS, I am still on the fence. Will it help in protecting things like my Steam library '20 bucks here 5 dollars there, 40 dollars here, it all adds up and would not want have to purchase such things all over again cause stuff got stolen from something on Steams own layer of security?". I think no. Usually when a breach has been made it is usually by the compromising of something like the service on the services' end of things.
    A VPN is a secure tunnel between your system and the network the VPN server sits in. It's more network infrastructure than defense.

Unless you are connecting to your home network remotely, or you are using a lot of public wifi hotspots (paid or free, where it's easy to snoop what you are doing), then it's not providing any protection.

VPNs can be useful to unblock region-restricted content though, like watching Netflix's US exclusive content, or UK-exclusive or whatever.

Or to get a public IP even if you are sitting behind some weird double-triple NATed network with additional firewalls from your ISP that block all that isn't just plain web traffic (many ISP block FTP and other file server protocols coming from home networks), so services hosted on your home server are accessible from outside.

Or to avoid throttling (if your ISP is an ass like Verizon and throttles your access to Netflix for example).

Comment

Working...
    X