Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Is Finally Offering An In-Kernel GPS Subsystem

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Is Finally Offering An In-Kernel GPS Subsystem

The Linux 4.19 kernel will finally be introducing a GPS subsystem to hopefully better standardize a lot of the Linux GPS drivers that have been out there for years out-of-tree...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNSS != GPS.

GNSS is a lot, lot bigger than just one system. It includes Russia's GLONASS, Europe's Galileo, China's Beidou and any other regional or global navigation systems.

I configured my phone to use Beidou and never looked back. It's a lot more accurate than GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      GNSS != GPS.

GNSS is a lot, lot bigger than just one system. It includes Russia's GLONASS, Europe's Galileo, China's Beidou and any other regional or global navigation systems.

I configured my phone to use Beidou and never looked back. It's a lot more accurate than GPS.
      That's likely the reason Michael wrote (Global Navigation Satellite System, i.e. GPS). But it's nice to see some standardization popping up

Comment

GPS={US navstar, RU glonass, EU galileo, ...}
        What you call gps is actually navstar.

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post
          GPS={US navstar, RU glonass, EU galileo, ...}
          What you call gps is actually navstar.
          That's not true.

Here is the first sentence from wikipedia:
          The Global Positioning System (GPS), originally Navstar GPS, is a satellite-based radionavigation system owned by the United States government and operated by the United States Air Force.

Comment

Maybe he should use “e.g.” instead of “i.e.”.

Comment

useful for Plasma Mobile.

Comment

Funny this is:
                GLONASS => Globalnaya navigatsionnaya sputnikovaya sistema => Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)

If you think about it, both GPS and GNSS are pretty generic names/terms. Both start with "Global" and both are "Systems". Then it's just "Positioning" vs "Navigation".

Comment

There's an GNNS instead of an GNSS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Isn't the whole purpose of multiple constellation receiver to combine as many source as possible to provide the best accuracy, no matter which system it needs to use ?

e.g.: more recent constellations like Beidou / Gallileo might not have that many satellites deployed and might be currently still better optimised for China / Europe resp.
                    i.e.: It might happens that other regions of the world at some point of time, happen to not have that many satellites visible at the same time and accuracy of the position degrades.
                    So a multi constellation chips could also reads information from the Glonass and GPS systems and if those happen to be more accurate, use them.

i.e.: you shouldn't be *switching* your phone to Beidou, but you should be adding Beidou as yet another source to get positioning from.

Comment

Working...
                    X